Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The 100+ year fortress.  (Read 5903 times)

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
Re: The 100+ year fortress.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

I think if curses allow it... headcrab mod in next version.

If that IS possible I will create my own army of Lamars.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 07:14:53 am »

Wouldn't it be easy enough to run a fortress based on farming? There's no limit to how many crops you can grow as long as you have the fertile soil, and good-quality prepared food has a strangely high value for trades. Couldn't you just trade that for stone and ore and whatever else you need, once you run out of mineable area?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 08:33:03 am »

As far as the civ dying when your fort falls...that means there wasn't any dwarven civ in the area you embarked to, so the game made one up.

You can tell whether the game is making up your civ by pressing c. If your civ has no notable leaders (except for the liaison, and then only when the liaison is visiting), then it was either too small to have any leaders (not sure if that's possible), or had already died out and was revived just for your benefit, or the game made it up on the spot when you embarked.

I'm not really sure which the game does, but it's very common to embark as a dead civ. The immigration, liaison, and caravan work no differently, but you can't get a king. I've done it twice, in two embarks.

Exports are important when it comes to attracting immigrants, and it might be wealth production matters more than current wealth, in which case a slowing of production as your fortress runs low on raw materials and fills up with awesome goods that can't be surpassed, plus a reduction in moods (if mining is really the source of them) could lead to less or no immigration, especially if you took losses from a siege, failed to shower the dwarven caravan with your generous surplus, or lost the dwarven caravan to a siege.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:23 am »

The civ existed and had a human king.  Someone was kind enough to go through it with Legends for me and told me what he saw.  Beyond that, I guess it was because i didn't trade with the caravans. 

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:45 am »

Weatherwires was founded from a dead civ. I'm not getting any more immigrants (caravans still show up, apparently), so I'm not sure what will happen when the fortress finally falls. Right now it's in its sixth decade.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:39 am »

I think if curses allow it... headcrab mod in next version.

Or the thing.  If I could code it myself, I would.

Urist McAxedude cancels fight: turning into the Thing.

Fun ensues.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »

I had a fort that ran for at least 100+ years, I think about 130, it was actually one of my earlier ones, when I first started playing right after DF2010 came out. I stopped getting migrants at around about 200 dwarves, not sure why, and then a few years later my fortress got trashed and then largely succumbed to a tantrum spiral.

Luckily I had about a dozen masons sequestered in an area of the map where I'd mined out a couple of layers of granite and marble and was busy converting it to blocks to make a huge above ground fortress. Anyway, eventually once the tantrum spiral had finished I took my masons out and got the place cleaned up, the bodies buried etc and then decided to try and repopulate my fortress through children. I had literally thousands of blocks of granite and marble so I got my masons to work building the fortress I'd envisioned, which I'd originally meant to house about 400 dwarves. The work site was secure and my dwarves were pretty self sufficient, so I transferred the save to one of old boxes and just let it run 24/7.

Eventually I got the fortress pop back up to like 150, from about 10.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »

It stopped at 200 because that's the default pop cap.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »

.19 introduced the inability of dwarves to die.  If you embark as a dead civ, the game doesn't care and will send you migrants and caravans as ever, as if unwilling to ignore your plight.  Islands work, however.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:49 pm »

Wouldn't it be easy enough to run a fortress based on farming? There's no limit to how many crops you can grow as long as you have the fertile soil, and good-quality prepared food has a strangely high value for trades. Couldn't you just trade that for stone and ore and whatever else you need, once you run out of mineable area?

ELF ALERT!!!!!!!!
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine
Pages: 1 [2]