Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sealing stairs  (Read 749 times)

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sealing stairs
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:47 am »

Urist McUseless cancels eat: interrupted by forgotten beast.  er..  that's odd.  Zoom to location.. wait, that forgotten beast is in my main stairwell.  Outside the dining hall, which has ~40 dwarves in it.  A giant cockroach with lidless eyes! Beware its deadly blood!  Deadly blood.  Outside the most heavily trafficked area of my fort.  Well, it was a fun fort...

I tell my military to attack.  Turns out one marksdwarf recruit was in the dining hall.  He walks 3 steps to the door of the hall and fires a single shot into the beast's head, killing it instantly.  And more importantly - without spilling a single drop of blood.  Oh yeah, someone's getting all masterwork furniture and a tomb...

So now, my question is - the hell did it come from?  I built a single 2x2 stairway down to the magma sea.  The magma is blocked off with the impassable tiles of workshops.  I only hit the caverns in two places.  In one, I put up a wall to seal it off.  The other is the only place I can guess it came in at.  One of the 2x2 stairs pierced the cavern.  I floored over it and moved the stairway over a few squares:

Code: [Select]
X = up/down stairs
. = cavern floor
F = constructed floor
W = wall

z-0

WWWW
WFXW
WXXW
WWWW

x-1

WWWW
.XWW
.WWW
WWWW

Could an enemy path up through those stairs even with a floor constructed over the z-level above?

I've had one siege where a group of trolls spawned inside my underground tree farm (1 z under the surface), so I know enemies sometimes just appear where they shouldn't.  Maybe this is another case.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:07 am »

I doubt that's your hole, but just in case remove the floor and place a locked floor hatch over the hole -- that's secure.

It might also be pathing up on a diagonal, towards the stair south of the constructed floor.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:07 am »

I've not performed any pathing science, but there may be a loophole that allows a creature to path through blocked diagonal stairs like that.  There's also the off-chance that "cockroach" begets [FLIER] and the creature flew up somehow?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:49:15 am »

I've not performed any pathing science, but there may be a loophole that allows a creature to path through blocked diagonal stairs like that.  There's also the off-chance that "cockroach" begets [FLIER] and the creature flew up somehow?

In one fort I had FBs fly up each of my tunnels that lead straight into the caverns. One was for grey water and the other started in my Baron's/Count's office (that one led down to a golden altar in the caverns. I imagined that during meetings my Baron/Count would pull a selection of levers and either 'release the hounds/crundles' or open the trap door where the other person was standing.

I've since learned that you need to put hatches over these at all costs, unless you have some way of 'flushing' the system out.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:34 am »

Best to replace your "up/down" stairs with constructed "up" stairs. It will block the flooor openings

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:31:55 am »

In one fort I had FBs fly up each of my tunnels that lead straight into the caverns. One was for grey water and the other started in my Baron's/Count's office (that one led down to a golden altar in the caverns. I imagined that during meetings my Baron/Count would pull a selection of levers and either 'release the hounds/crundles' or open the trap door where the other person was standing.

I've since learned that you need to put hatches over these at all costs, unless you have some way of 'flushing' the system out.

Grey water? I am intrigued and wish to learn more.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always