Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good form?  (Read 1251 times)

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good form?
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:55 pm »

Heya! I'm amazingly new around here. I've gotten really into the Adventure mode, good fun, very addictive. Just wondering (because I can see this forum is very communitive (is that a word?) and has it's own set of what's dwarf-like and not. So I ask, what are the norms for playing adventure mode? Am I expected to start as a peasant everytime? I've only ever been demi-gods. Is that cheating? Does having something cool happen ingame not count if I was using a mod? Are moderate - okay drawins of adventures acceptable? Thanks everybody!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good form?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:35:02 pm »

Do whatever the hell you want. Really, we won't judge you. Often.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:09:05 am »

As long as you don't brag about being an elf character, the community should welcome you with open arms. :) 

I personally find Demi-God characters good if I want to do/kill something specific or just to muck around killing everything in sight. Otherwise the real fun comes from building a peasant up from nothing into a boss knight, just don't ever think for a second that peasants are weak. 

Welcome btw.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:21:37 am by sirquote »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:52 am »

yep,  the char type really only influences how long you take to get good at stuff, and, to an extent, when you reach your limits of ability..
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:57:21 am »

I usually only play as demigods too. It's just so annoying to go into battle and get killed every single time by an easy strike to the brain.
[Signature]

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »

Danke guys. How about requesting mods...? Or should I try to get into it myself first? This game is awesome. And so are the forums, looking around. Thanks for the welcome!  :D

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »

I'd suggest Wanderer's Friend for Adventurer mode. It adds many many many crafting recipes and is pretty much awesome.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »

I actually meant more along the lines of requesting a specific, new mod/race etc. But I shall check that one out as well. I've heard good things about Genesis, too.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:43 pm »

If you need any mod for anything, go to DF Modding board and make a post. Those guys would be able to do what you need. Course you prolly should search for what you need to see if some one already requested somethin' similar. The little box in the upper right of the screen should help with that.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:36:16 pm »

Ooh, ooh!  You should totally try the mod that puts in corrupts for adventuring!  [/shameless self-promotion]

Seriously, though, welcome to DF and to the forums.  I also play as demigods, and any stories you have are perfectly acceptable.  Also, art (even if it's laughably bad) is always welcome.  Just check out the "Draw Your Adventures!" thread.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:46 pm »

Do whatever you like. Adventure mode is open-world, and open-minded to those who use it.

I use Wanderer's Friend and Civilization Forge combined, to add to the !!FUN!! of it. I've modified some things about the former, though, because they didn't work for/with me.

I usually start as a Demigod Bowman (because I can make my own ammo) and go around hunting. For quests, that is. I also like claiming the lairs of night-beasts I kill and calling the lair my own, because they have a special tag that keeps stuff INSIDE the lair from scattering around or rotting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:30 am »

Starting as a demi-god just means you start of as a total bouse. Nothing wrong with it, it wouldn't be there if it was ^_^

Personally, I find it's fun starting off as a peasant and murdering random people who appear on my screen.
What.
Stop looking at me like that D:

*Loud Whispers has been struck down by irony*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »

Yea like others said peasant, hero, and demigod is a playstyle choice.  It's not like touhou or something like that where playing on anything but insane is doing it wrong.  I personally prefer hero myself, nice reasonable strength, and a better chance of actually arriving at your goal without getting eaten by wolves.  Without making stuff that should be hugely dangerous trivial. (Not that wolves aren't dangerous, but compared to everything else out to kill you in this game...)

I personally played for about two months before I started messing with mods. You should probably at least play a little vanilla to get a feel for the flavor. But when you do look for a mod, I would recommend just browsing around the modding forum or the Dwarf Fortress File Depot a bit and see if you find anything you like.   

Mods that add adventure mode reactions might be up your alley, since in vanilla there's very little you can do with that right now unless you like sharpening stones.  I can't recommend any myself though, since I just mod in my own crap I want and honestly never messed with any for long enough to get an opinion.

Also if you are like me and don't see any mods that suit your particular fancy, browsing the modding forum, reading through some of those bigger threads like the modding workshop, and looking through the wiki would probably be a good way to learn the basics, it's really not as complex as it looks once you learn how those tags work in general.   Also if what you want isn't too large or complicated and you ask nicely you might be able to get somebody over there to whip up a little personal mod for you in a few minutes, or at least guide you through how to do it yourself.

P.S. As for mods nullifying awesome moments it depends.  If you used some utility to make an adventurer have max stats and max skills and killed a dragon that obviously wouldn't be the same as a vanilla character doing it.   It pretty much seems to be more of a how much is the player impressed by the feat thing.   

Boatmurdered was as far as I know completely unmodified, it is one of the great stories of DF lasting the test of time.   Nist Akath is one of the great stories as well, and that was heavily modified, it was chock full of 'savescumming' and had utilities editing memory data.  But it is still an awesome story, and my personal favorite.  Awesomeness seems to be as much affected by how the player themselves see it, as others do.

p.s.#2 Next time I take an english class I need to see if I can turn some of these responses in for essay credit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:50:38 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!