Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma forge not being used correctly?  (Read 789 times)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma forge not being used correctly?
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

I have one magma forge and a couple of smelters set up. I have 3 metalsmiths (they are the only ones who have metalsmithing job active). Every once in a while, the forge will sit empty, and the metalsmith will stand around with no job. Sometimes, if a certain carpenter is not busy, he will go and start forging (even though he does not have metalsmithing activated in his job list) Once the metalsmiths stop going to the forge, they will never come back, unless I cancel the jobs at the forge, and place them again. Then the metalsmith goes there immediately.

I am forging a silver axe & copper spear both on repeat

It is the same carpenter who keeps going to the forge, by the way.

This has occurred 3 times so far, in between, the metalsmith makes maybe 1-2 items.

I have a save if you need it (with the forge sitting empty, and a free metalsmith awake)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: magma forge not being used correctly?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Is there any crossbow production taking place?  Making crossbows, even metal ones, requires the Bowyer skill (job is Crossbow Making) that some of your carpenters will immigrate with.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »

ok, I guess that makes more sense

I am sure that is what the problem is, because I am making copper crossbows and not spears like I originally stated

[ January 27, 2007: Message edited by: polpoint ]

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

Speaking of magma forges, I've seen dwarfs walk over BURNING HOT MAGMA that was in a forge and survive unscathed. It's not really a bug in the sense of something gone wrong, it's just weird to look at.

[ January 27, 2007: Message edited by: Gigalith ]

[ January 27, 2007: Message edited by: Gigalith ]

Check out my books at O and H Books

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

Yeah, they do that.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:00:00 am »

let your ambitious carpenter become your fulltime bowyer ... build him his own forge, make sure he is the only one with xbow making turned on and then let him forge alot of crossbows.  Once he gets good, you can make a run of steel or iron crossbows that will really really benefit your military.

just on a side note, if you also want some sweet ammunition, making metal bolts is a weaponsmith skill.  So of course train one of those guys up too.