Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ingredient value doesn't seem to factor into value of c  (Read 590 times)

grendel

Ingredient value doesn't seem to factor into value of c
« on: November 01, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

I really don't know to explain this much better than the title says it, but basically, I'm noticing that regardless of what food I make with my expert chef, the value comes out to be ~ 30 / unit.

Here are some numbers from a fortress I am playing right now:

30 units of swamp whiskey roast = 900*
10 units of whip vine flour roast = 300*
8 units of whip vine flour roast = 400*
9 units of whip vine flour roast = 360*
12 units of dwarven cheese roast = 360*

Very odd, since the text files in the RAW folder indicate that the value of whip vine flour is 25, and the value of swamp whiskey is 1. You'd figure that ought to mean that food made from whip vine flour should be about 25 times more valuable than food made from swamp whiskey, but the numbers seem to indicate that these ingredients are considered equivalent in the calculation of food value.

With dwarven cheese, it gets even more ridiculous, because the value of the roast (even when made exceptionally, as by a cook like mine) is less than the value of the cheese itself.

edit: Here are some pictures.

And more more example of these calculations going really wrong:

The pile of cheese was worth 2000* before being cooked. The value of the product was half of the value of the ingredients, despite it being an exceptional job.

edit:

It almost seems like the value per unit of all cooked foods is the average of the quality of mincing rounded to a whole integer (5 for exceptional, 2 for well-crafted, etc) multiplied by ten. The value of the ingredients never coming into the equation.

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: grendel ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Ingredient value doesn't seem to factor into value of c
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!