Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An aquifer is draining into a magma pipe.  (Read 1073 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
An aquifer is draining into a magma pipe.
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:46:42 pm »

And causing cave-in spam.

I suppose it will stop eventually, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

The craziest part is DFreveal doesn't reveal any aquifer source tiles near there.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: An aquifer is draining into a magma pipe.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »

Open a book and read it, hitting Space every thirty seconds?

It's what I do when I embark on the Volcano Lake.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »

You can turn off cave in notifications... or go into init and turn off cave-ins until you can get in there and support the obsidian floor.

If the caved-in sections are falling onto SMR, it might NEVER stop without help.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:08 pm »

go to the data/init/ folder in wherever you extracted df, open the announcements file, find [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] and change it to [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]:P:R and hope your FPS isn't very bad
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

DFReveal and DFLiquids to paint a little obsidian plug around the offending area.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:14:23 pm »

DFreveal shows that it's forming a plug just fine, I don't need to paint one - it's already half covered.

I'll let it run its course.  I've already got an outer curtain wall up and the bedrooms half dug even with the lower framerate.  The gatehouse is half finished.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »

I figured it out.

The top of the cavern above the edge of the magma pipe is right below an aquifer and it is draining down through that hole.  But why is the aquifer right to the top of the caverns?