Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobility (The other way around)  (Read 697 times)

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobility (The other way around)
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:50 am »

Hello peeps,

I've got a question and eventho I've been reading a lot on these forums, I'm not sure wether it's been asked in this context.
Nowadays before I actually start with a fortress, I check out the legends to see which civ's are actually still alive (the dwarven ones atleast).

As it seems, I picked out a spot a bit too far from 1 of the 2 living dwarven civs and only 1 dead dwarven civ trades with me.
Human civilization seems to be only dead civ.
(With 'dead' I'm referring to a civilization without a king/queen)

Will I eventually get nobility (king and such) from the dead dwarven civilization as there still are some living dwarven civilizations? (I'm figuring I wont)
I know that's it's near to impossible to code a king and such into the raws, but what I want to know:
Is it possible to kill off an entire civilization, so another civilization from another spot will come to you? (either by gameplay, or by hacking the raws)

This current fort seems to be worth the hassle as my dwarves now only get their heads lobbed off by Kobold's thieves with tiny knives. (nothing too bad)
Also a quite fun history with the complete surroundings being burned down by a weird beast and all those things

Any help is appreciated!.. or dworfen remarks :p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Nobility (The other way around)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:18 am »

Start adventure mode, this gives you a list of available options.  If the civ isn't listed, then it's truly dead.  Compare against legends to tell how many were created and how many are adventure-enabled.  It's a bit more reliable than checking for monarchs.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:37:40 am »

I quess I really shouldnt be writing on forums, when I'm stressed out at work :p

I kind of misused the term 'civilization' as I think it's more appropiate to say that there were 2 living mountain homes for the dwarven civilization.
In my situation here the wrong mountain home started to come into contact (a mountain home which didnt produce any kind of legends after year 550 or something)

My question was about removing a mountain home from the raws in order to get another mountain home to get into contact with me (eventho that will take longer, as they need to travel more)

It's not really necessary tho, because I've already started a new fortress (I wanted humans for their shiny stuff!)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:24:02 pm »

The civilization to contact you is the one you started as.  I've never experienced a different dwarven civ to send caravans.  The game DOES let you start as a dead civ, except that it apparently isn't dead.  As has been said "they game pretty much doesn't let you go without caravans and migrants".

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »

In case you aren't aware, you pick which dwarven civ to start as. Tab till you get a list of the dwarven civilizations, then '+' till you get to the one you want. Typically, you'll see little blue omegas on the world map to indicate that civ's location.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.