Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entertainers  (Read 712 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Entertainers
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »

Specalist dwarves that keep other dwarves happy: Singers, dancers, comedians, actors, and various instrument users could perform (either in a meeting hall, or for better results on some sort of stage).  Performances would create happy thoughts in dwarves that witness or hear it: how good a thought, of course depends on the skill of the performer (and for instrumental performances, the quality of the instrument.  A legendary harpist is of course better than a dabbling one, but a ☼Harp☼ goes a long way over a no-quality harp) and possibly the distance from the performance (Front row seats FTW).  Entertainment labors would be activated/deactivated like any other labors, and unless disabled would auto give performance at available venues (much like auto-looming and tanning, or hauling)

Because right now, it seems a little odd that dwarves make a ton of instruments yet are totally incapable of using them...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:33 pm »

I like this idea very much. It would also create more useful jobs in large fortresses. Typically, I end up with a lot of dwarves that have nothing to do. We could put them to use, preventing tantrum spirals!

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:22:04 am »

Would be awsome!

Also, with detailed announcement that performance has started, soundsense could pick the message up, check what instrument(s) are used and play a tune. You could then have control on what music is being played in the background for your fortress by allowing/producing certain instruments.
Gah, that would be sweet!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:26:03 am by Ethnar »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:09 am »

Finally,a use for instruments.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »

I was surprised when I found out it wasn't antymatter making another one of these redundant, and useless threads.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

Okay, I searched the dev page, and forgot to do the forums.

I feel properly idiotic now  :-[
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:05 pm »

You are most forgiven since many people have this happen to them in their first suggestions post.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

Happens to everybody. Cheer up, have a +cat meat roast+.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

Happens to everybody. Cheer up, have a +cat meat tallow roast+.
fixed
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

I was surprised when I found out it wasn't antymatter making another one of these redundant, and useless threads.
You will be interacted with!