Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wielding multiple shields and weapons simultaneously  (Read 1820 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Wielding multiple shields and weapons simultaneously
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:19 am »

I found out that using equip 'specific' item you can equip many items simultaneously. Does doing so improve dorf's chances in combat?
http://postimage.org/image/2fexaet8k/
Picture

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wielding multiple shields and weapons simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:49 am »

I'm not 100% sure, but more shield means that the combat system will calculate a new chance to block every attack per shield.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:12:16 am »

As I read, two shields should give a better chance at blocking.

Two weapons will not help at all, however. To clarify, your dwarf will not try to strike with both weapons, and so you are not *really* having what is the usual effect of wielding two weapons. Though if an arm is lopped off of your dorf or you manage to wedge a spear in a <body part> then the second weapon should be "handy".

[That was bad and I would apologize, but no coffee in system yet.]
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

The Balls of Steel

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That's Gneiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:55:36 am »

10 minutes in MS Paint later...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the dwarf will attack with one weapon per 'turn'. It can give him an extra chance of blocking, but I imagine the weight of the weapons slows the dwarf down.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:23:04 am »

10 minutes in MS Paint later...

Anyway, the dwarf will attack with one weapon per 'turn'. It can give him an extra chance of blocking, but I imagine the weight of the weapons slows the dwarf down.
they move like the wind.
Wielding many items might not be useful but i figure out it's more badass

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:14:02 am »

How many shields can you have as equipment? Is it more than two? Wooden shields really don't weigh bugger all, so chucking 2-4 on each military dwarf might be something higly exploitable. I tend to give everyone I can a shield anyway (so I have heaps made) so can a few be done?

Even two shields and a weapon sounds pretty good if shield block chances stack. Or multiply. I've read in the forums/wiki that the block of a buckler is 10% and a shield 20%. Is this max block? Min block? Average? How does shield skill effect this? Do two shields end up with 40% or 36%(multiplicative) as a base block figure? WTF is a base block % anyway?
It's a game. Have fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:28:42 am »

Toss dwarves in the arena and find out for us!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 02:48:23 am »

The day that the Toadyone releases a version of arena (just arena, not DF) for phones I will. I'm kind of "non-computery" right now. Moving house. Actually one of the easier tests in a way. I'll do an f'load one day with the "zagibu" scripts (they're the best thing ever for large and decent data-sets if you can edit them properly and run the programs they're made for). I'll see once I move if I can find them and run them through with a "blocked by" interpreter string to catch the stats.

Do a search for zagibu's posts on weapon effectiveness if you want to try it (I've got about a week before I get to use my PC again properly).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:51:32 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

I've embarked on a haunted beach.
And there where really awful things like skeleton moose and giant zombie badgers.
My game kept crashing, I guess I took too many animals