Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fucking Nagnods, how do they work?  (Read 975 times)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Fucking Nagnods, how do they work?
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:24 pm »

A giant three-eyed tarantula. It has a fat, bulging trunk and it is ravening. Its dark brown exoskeleton is leathery. Beware its poisonous bite!

Yay, generic topic name.

Anyway, Nagnod here is a forgotten beast down in the (second level) caves. My fort has been open to said caves for at least a couple years and he's been there for about just as long. I don't really know why, but all he does is stand at the edge of an underground pond-thingy, jump in, and swim/walk a ways in only to turn back and repeat. He does head towards where the entrance to my fort is, but I cannot figure out why he doesn't just take the dry path behind him. I should also note that none of my dwarves have gotten close enough to Nagnod for job cancellations to occur, so I don't know what would happen if they got close to it.

So my question is, does anyone know what's wrong with him? Is it a pathing issue? A glitch? Does Nagnod really just enjoy swimming for seconds at a time? In any case, I've been thinking it'd be Fun to exploit this, but I haven't come up with any good ideas.

If anyone can point me to an image hosting site that might be semi-compatible with dial-up, I could post an image or two to make the situation a little clearer. I would be much thankful.

On a totally related note, is it possible to use dwarf body parts to as item materials? One of my military dwarves lost his arm and it's just sitting in the corpse stockpile. It'd be awesome if I could make it into a sword for him to murder evil with.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Fucking Nagnods, how do they work?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »

1) try caging this magnificent beast. You'll need a webbed cage or a cavein trap of some sort, or perhaps a dodge trap leading to a few cages a few floors down, due to the trapavoid.

2) you can try modding, but you'll at least need to mod the dwarven ethics system to use sentient parts.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »

not sure about your main question (I don't know if FBs actually home in on your fort, or wander like wild animals, I seal the caverns like the paranoid I am.), but the best you can do to get a dwarf-arm sword is symbolic: move the arm to a certain spot (use dumping), apply magma and water to create obsidian on it, then mine the obsidian out and use the boulder for an obsidian short sword (burrows help).  A limb might eventually decay to bone (I think it depends on if the hand is attached), but you can't make bone melee weapons in vanilla (though, if you do get dwarf bone, it should be usable for "decorate with bone")
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »

I don't know if FBs actually home in on your fort, or wander like wild animals, I seal the caverns like the paranoid I am.
Rightly paranoid. I've lost a fair share a dwarves down there. My little path of weapon/cage traps (about three of each) usually keeps the monsters out, but I had an issue with two of my excellent hunters getting killed by a cave croc, at which point half the population ran down to collect the random equipment and bodies. Thankfully I had something of a military force at the time to save the day.

I'll see what I can do about setting up something to lead Mr. spider into a cage trap. I'll be sure to post an update when it decides to go on a murderous rampage for no reason. The obsidianizing method of sword making sounds like the most possible in-game way doing things, but I'll see if I can "decorate with bone" as that would be pretty cool too.

Oddly, my bone carver got depressed when my new hunter used his masterwork elk bird bone bolts to kill an elk bird. It only seemed to happen for one of the many bolts that were masterwork though.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »

He probably shot the bird and the bolt stayed in the wound. Then the bird ran off the map, taking the masterwork bolt with it. It happens sometimes. The more masterworks a craftsman has made, the less he is upset about losing one of them. So make lots and lots of bolts so losing one isn't really a big deal.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

F.B.s occupy a cavern unless disturbed, this is good and bad--bad because someone might disturb it at the wrong moment, good, because with cleverness you don't even need to cage it. Instead build a containment chamber with a goblin drop and a kitten lure, seal it with opening and closing bridges, after it is sealed, dismantle the levers to avoid accident. Then use unarmed goblins, to find the one true goblin hero.  I had a ball with a golden scarab living on a small island once, I fed him 30 goblins before he remembered he could fly.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »

Oh...well, that was interesting. As I prepared to set up some walls and the like to prepare to block Nagnod, some other forgotten beast, a newt with poisonous gas pops up. It shoots gas at my hunter, but kills him a millisecond later anyway. My military comes in and smashes it up. I notice that they're all numb and throwing up everywhere, but that goes away. Before I can regroup, another forgotten beast, a blob of grime and filth with a shell, shows up. Sound weak? Well not when it has deadly dust. It's currently rampaging my fort and spewing dust literally everywhere and crushing dwarfs by pushing them. The fact that it's a blob of crap makes me think I'd just need to poke it to kill it, but no one has left even a scratch on the thing. I fear my fort's end is near. No manipulating Nagnod I guess.

And to think, all this happened because I made a path back up to the first cave level...

Edit: OH GOD THE ROT
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:58:52 pm by Kirbypowered »

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »

Oh...well, that was interesting. As I prepared to set up some walls and the like to prepare to block Nagnod, some other forgotten beast, a newt with poisonous gas pops up. It shoots gas at my hunter, but kills him a millisecond later anyway. My military comes in and smashes it up. I notice that they're all numb and throwing up everywhere, but that goes away. Before I can regroup, another forgotten beast, a blob of grime and filth with a shell, shows up. Sound weak? Well not when it has deadly dust. It's currently rampaging my fort and spewing dust literally everywhere and crushing dwarfs by pushing them. The fact that it's a blob of crap makes me think I'd just need to poke it to kill it, but no one has left even a scratch on the thing. I fear my fort's end is near. No manipulating Nagnod I guess.

And to think, all this happened because I made a path back up to the first cave level...

Edit: OH GOD THE ROT
I had blisters... on every part of the bodies. 3 of the original 7 Legendary Military dwarves died.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »

E...everyone died. It was horrible, the filthy blob just left everyone to rot and sat there, not attacking anyone, including the rotting dwarf beside it. One dwarf escaped unscathed, and three migrants showed up. Using supplies left by the deceased elves outside, I started up a farm and still, but I had no picks or other tools. They were sitting ducks when the goblins came. I tried to get one of them to deconstruct part of the gatehouse wall to get inside, but it was too late. A cat put up a valiant effort and got a blow on one of the goblins, but it was no use. Humans showed up as well, likely confused, and killed a bunch of goblins before scattering. One of the dwarves trapped in the fort went insane, killed four others near him, and charged at the blob. You can guess how that ended. The last remaining dwarves were the self appointed mayor and a melancholic dwarf, who happened to by lying next to the blob 'till the end.

First time experiencing deadly dust destruction. I just love these learning experiences.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »

I have a relatively untrained medical dwarf who earned a really nice home by curing FB rot on ALL, my military. It was insane. And hilarious, because he cured the rot by fracturing limbs and eugen setting them.