Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bookkeepers need books for bookkeeping  (Read 1458 times)

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
Re: Bookkeepers need books for bookkeeping
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 12:23:21 pm »

I was thinking of them as more of a Fey Mood type thing, not as something that you could grind out as commercial fodder. Just like any of the other 'mood' products, selling it off would get you unhappy thoughts.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 01:21:12 pm »

I don't see how this would improve game play. It would make things more complicated, and perhaps there could be more detail or some other advantage to using books or scrolls (dragon leather bound with giant cave spider silk?) but for the start of the process of book keeping, the current requirement to build a table seems enough to me.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »

I don't think anyone said anything about improving gameplay.  :P
It's just an added depth, a bit of fantasy realism. It would make sense to have to copy stock records (with use of scribedwarves, if no presses have been made) to send to the mountainhomes, at least if you wanted to attract migrants. How they're supposedly attracted now is by word of mouth ("Aye, there be a beautiful dwarven oasis, with gold, silver, and many masterful works, In the heart of 'The Murk of Slaughter'"). This may add credibility to those claims, and it could be an addition to the new world economy. Some dwarves may be a bit "freespirited" or hard up, but more sensible dwarves may need a bit of proof before dropping everything to move to some hole in the ground. (resulting in waves of fewer/no dwarves without proper records, and more dwarves with) (That could be an added role of the liason, to at elast look over the reports that have been made, without you needing to export copies. Though sending the copies may lead to more/better skilled dwarves to move to the new haven.)
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »

The tech cut-off happens just before movable-type printing showed up in Europe, which I think is there for a reason.

On the other hand there's no reason not to have a Scriptorum for the purpose of copying books, or even just a writing desk that can be put into a library room for that same purpose.

New books could be made in two ways - the records of the book-keeper (and perhaps some kind of Historian noble), and a Strange Mood (Urist McBook-keeper has been Inspired!). Books could then be copied in the Scriptorum or library by a Scribe.

Bookmaking would work as a 3- or 4-stage process similar to pottery - First, produce paper or parchment from cloth or leather (and maybe ink at the mill, though that may not be completely necessary). Next, the scribe makes a manuscript in the scriptorum, or the bookmaker does the same in a study. Finally, you can bind the book at the bookbinders, which requires one manuscript and one unit of leather, and results in a saleable, storable item, like the way you have to glaze certain pots to use them for liquid storage.

As for scrolls, that's really something for interacting out of the fort later on, I think.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 09:49:31 pm »

Oooh.
Add a new decoration-task, with multiple quantities, somewhat like the kitchen's cook Easy/Fine/Lavish

Call it "Illuminate Manuscript", and use as many dyes as you can get your hands on.
No duplicate dyes should be allowed, so you'd spend Sliver barb on the text, and then have Red, Green and Blue pictures with the other dyes for a stacked decoration bonus.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 12:33:21 am »

Honestly it'd make more sense to me if they kept their bookkeeping on stone slabs. Would be more dwarfy than paper.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:59 am »

Oooh.
Add a new decoration-task, with multiple quantities, somewhat like the kitchen's cook Easy/Fine/Lavish

Call it "Illuminate Manuscript", and use as many dyes as you can get your hands on.
No duplicate dyes should be allowed, so you'd spend Sliver barb on the text, and then have Red, Green and Blue pictures with the other dyes for a stacked decoration bonus.
Loved the idea,then dwarfs can make those awsome medieval manuscripts with all toshe drawings and such.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 [2]