Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People starving to death during world gen  (Read 4053 times)

Ilkenaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
People starving to death during world gen
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:15:12 am »

I toyed a little around with the advanced parameters of world creation yesterday, trying to make a drier, more evil world. The world I made (named Hellworld due to a misunderstanding on my part as to the difference between title and name) was set to have a maximum rainfall of 50, the number of titans was increased, and so was the amount of desired evil squares. The number of demon and night creature types was decreased somewhat (I don't remember why I did that). The world was based on SMALL ISLAND, and genned for 100 years.

In the list of available civilisations in Adventure Mode, two human and two elf civilisations were available, but no dwarven ones. The human civilisations were of expected sizes, but the elf ones were only one tile each. I decided to check Legends mode to find out what happened to the dwarfs and elves, thinking they'd been killed off by a titan or forgotten beast or something. However, the histories of all mountain halls in the world looked more or less like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The name Pluldis reappeared once or twice in the other mountain halls as well, so I decided to check out this "Ruledcave the Shadow of Lucidity". This is what its history looked like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For some reason, all the dwarfs and kobolds in the world starved to death between autumn of year 4 and summer of year 5. Checking the elven civilisations revealed few differences; while many elves had starved to death during world gen, somehow some of them were still alive. A few humans starved to death as well, but only about 10-15 in total. The goblins seem to have escaped this fate entirely, as I couldn't find a single message about a goblin starving to death.

Any ideas as to what caused this famine? At first I thought it seemed likely that it was simply due to a lack of vegetation because of the low amount of rain, but then wouldn't the humans and goblins have starved as well? Judging by the maps, the humans and elves were pretty much in the same areas.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: People starving to death during world gen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:33:30 am »

Did you accidently turn off aquifers?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ilkenaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

Just checked. There are aquifers all over the place. Oh, also, I did set Cavern Layers to None, in case that's relevant.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

Oh, also, I did set Cavern Layers to None, in case that's relevant.
If that's the one I'm thinking of, then yes - dwarves kind of depend on the underground plants for food. Not kobolds though, they starve no matter what without modding (it can happen to dwarves as well, but not quite as often). The next version is supposed to be a bit better with the dwarf/kobold starvation issues. Perhaps also with the other starvation issues.

Goblins simply do not eat, so they don't face starvation.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ilkenaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:33 pm »

Huh. That would explain why the humans didn't starve. Doesn't quite explain the elves, though.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:52:45 pm »

Huh. That would explain why the humans didn't starve. Doesn't quite explain the elves, though.

Could just be a random screw up on their part during worldgen, like not gathering enough food or something.

It could also be related to the dwarves. Maybe trading with the humans wasn't enough to provide food for them, so they'd have needed dwarven trade but the dwarves were already extinct by that time.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy