Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Longstanding (swept under the rugs) Issues - What and why?  (Read 5101 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Longstanding (swept under the rugs) Issues - What and why?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:29 am »

Also please do not speak about unplayability.

I said it was unplayable TO ME, because the bugs I am encountering are causing severe problems. It's purely an opinion thing. I'm allowed to have those. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

I think the problem comes from the fact that creatures and solid objects are treated as the same when choosing a path. If the pathfinder just assumed that a creature would move and kept the path the same anyway, it would solve a lot of problems. If the creature isn't moving already, it could be made to wander one tile away to get rid of it.

A good idea would be to have the pathing creature wait for the blocking creature to move out of the way, with waiting time based on their patience attribute, and squeezing past when the timer runs out. (perhaps negative thoughts related to squeezing past people/having people squeeze past them?)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:37 pm »

Stuff that's still broken:

- Soap. Still produces a ton of failure messages.
- Claimed items that litter the fort and never get picked up. Claimed items that rot.
- Overproduction of food can leave lots of containers around the kitchen/still instead of them being carried off.
- Melting of metal containers with stuff in them dumps the stuff into the workshop inventory, making the stuff unusable and non removable.
- Only one archery target works per range, no matter how many are in the designated zone. Also, digging a channel to circumvent bolt breakage makes no sense.
- People are gonna hate me for this, but diagonal tunneling to remove water pressure is retarded and must go.

Stuff that could do with improvement:

- Make military dwarves react to orders better. Kamikaze rush is just terrible. There has to be a way to keep the dwarven rage and lose the dumb factor.

- My biggest issue with the game is that there is often no 'comfort layer' between the player and total complexity. Is it nice to have a list of hundreds of creatures to choose what goes into the corpse stockpile? For sure. Is it practical? Wouldn't it make more sense to divide that stockpile between usable and unusable first, and dump all those creatures into those two categories? Likewise, the stocks screen. If you have a large fort, you don't want to scroll through hundreds of silk socks and gloves just to find that one metal gauntlet. Make a category in between that divides by material. Or make a materials filter for the stocks screen.

- FPS.

There's a lot less bugs in .25 than there used to be in earlier versions, though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:48:21 pm by xordae »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 09:30:52 pm »

People talk about the military system being broken all to hell, but it doesn't seem so for me.  Only thing I can't seem to get them to do properly is use an archery range.  For all other aspects it seems incredibly powerful and perfectly functional.  Maybe I just learned to work around them or something and don't notice anymore, I dunno. 

It is rather hard to figure out, but that may be as much a side effect of how powerful it is as much as anything else.  It is actually possible to set up your military schedule in such a way to automatically repel sieges with nothing but military force, with no other input from the player, that's a pretty powerful system I think.

Anyway the long standing things that get me are more incomplete features that generally only crop up with modding. 

- [CARNIVORE] creatures cannot eat any prepared meals, even if they are 100% made of meat, which seems odd.  In fact they are unable to eat anything but meat, fish, and booze.  Not even eggs.  It has been the case ever since 2D at least.

- [FLIER]s get into pathing trouble if they need to recalc a path in midair.  And pretty much just stall, because they aren't anyplace on the pathfinding connectivity map they don't think they can actually reach anyplace but the tile they are hovering in.  Happens sometimes unmodded too, with giant bat mounted sieges.  Same happens sometimes, although less often with swimming.  Been the case ever since the first 3D version.

- Sieger civ leaders arrive unarmed and unequipped, even if they hold a military position in their civ and have hundreds of kills to their name.  Not sure how long this has been around, but I remember noticing it a few versions ago at least.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

leeleebubbub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:02 am »

One I need to throw out there even though it's minor (then again I haven't played or updated since 32.25) in adventure mode, if I have a spear, I should throw it like a spear, not a Frisbee.
Pages: 1 2 [3]