Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma setting nearby objects on fire.  (Read 351 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Magma setting nearby objects on fire.
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

It would be nice if magma set people and objects who are near on a DIFFERENT z-level on fire, so this would make magma forges more dangerous with the chance of setting your legendary metalsmith on fire. (objects would have a chance of catching fire,same for people and animals.)
any thoughts?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Magma setting nearby objects on fire.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

Magma is difficult enough to work with without randomly flaming nearby dwarves and items... You can stand next to lava (if you don't die from the outgassing common from an eruption) and only be marginally cooked, not insta-fried or turned into an inferno.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:03:09 am »

Magma already raises the temperature of nearby tiles (including above/below) when flowing.  I believe that has burned a few dwarves before, though I don't remember many actual fires being started.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:07 am »

My understanding of this is that Toady intentionally downplayed the temperature of magma so that magma forges/furnaces could actually function.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==