Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pretty basic question...  (Read 1140 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Pretty basic question...
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:58 pm »

I've a pretty basic question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

If I make armor / weapons in fortress mode and abandon (or the fort falls) can I come and claim them / wear the armor / wield the weapons with an elf or human in adventure mode?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty basic question...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:59 pm »

So you're asking if human or elven adventurers can use Dwarven sized stuff?  Weapons, yes.  Armor, no. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:44 pm »

Ok, good to know.

Out of curiosity, how would you get armor better than wood (so, anything metal) for an elven adventurer then?

Or is it not available yet?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »

I didn't even know elves could get wooden armor, for me it's usually just clothes.  I think if you kill humans with armor you can take the armor, not so sure on that. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »

Hmm.   Shame the best armor humans get is iron.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:27:59 am »

Dwarves and elves use the same (small) armour, humans use large armour.

Everyone uses the same weapons.
[Signature]

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »

Except for that part where dwarves or elves can't use all human weapons (i.e. 2h-swords, pikes, great-axes, etc)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:46:01 am »

Except for that part where dwarves or elves can't use all human weapons (i.e. 2h-swords, pikes, great-axes, etc)

They can! They just don't get skills in them, or something like that. There is nothing in the game that you can't pick up and swing at someone.
[Signature]

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »

They can! They just don't get skills in them, or something like that. There is nothing in the game that you can't pick up and swing at someone.
Umm... did you try thinking about the dwarf/elf-size-to-weapon-size ratio?

Take, for example, a skilled adventurer axedwarf. He kills a rogue human axeman with a great-axe. The dwarf wants to ditch his battle-axe for that great-axe, but...

*thinks*

Ah, crap. Maybe you're right. You win this time, but you just got lucky.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:50:17 pm »

Umm... did you try thinking about the dwarf/elf-size-to-weapon-size ratio?

Take, for example, a skilled adventurer axedwarf. He kills a rogue human axeman with a great-axe. The dwarf wants to ditch his battle-axe for that great-axe, but...

*thinks*

Ah, crap. Maybe you're right. You win this time, but you just got lucky.
[/quote]
If that logic applied in-game, people wouldn't be dual-wielding dragon corpses and weilding 500 shields in a hand. This is DF. See?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »

I've got an elf with a full set of Candy now and an axe.  Surprisingly (to me), his axe skill is increasing - I didn't know elves could gain skill in that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »

Actually, "small" and "large" aren't set values; it depends on the BODY_SIZE of the creature. If you have a clown adventurer, all armor will say "small"

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:40 am »

if you have an elf dwarf goblin or kobold all non elf dwarf goblin or kobold armor will be large as well i'm pretty sure.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:33 pm »

Actually, "small" and "large" aren't set values; it depends on the BODY_SIZE of the creature. If you have a clown adventurer, all armor will say "small"
Unless you mod so your humans/whatever are the size of clowns, but then you have a bigger problem...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.