Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Welp, what woodcutter?  (Read 1212 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Welp, what woodcutter?
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:10 am »

I had gotten into Dwarf Fortress again after a long time. I had decided that I wanted to build a Human Mining Town, and modded in Humans as playable.

However, I seem to have run into a fatal problem with the game. It was still my first year, and the trade caravan had arrived. However, something caught my eye. A Stary Yac was walking around my place. You see, I was running low on food, and trader didn't seem to have anything good. So, I naturally send my military to kill it, so I could butcher it and take its delicious food. It got away, but the aftermath had me getting spammed with the following log.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can someone inform me over who this "Woodcutter" is and how horribly I can murder him?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Welp, what woodcutter?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:47:38 am »

Try drafting him to the militia. If that fails, MAGMA.
Soaplent green is goblins!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:58:07 am »

Attacking your own entity (the human caravan) triggers a "loyalty cascade" where everyone involved in the attack becomes an enemy of your civilization and everyone who attacks them becomes an enemy and so on. It looks like your woodcutters (you'll notice there's more than one name) are all scaring each other while they're working because they're all enemies.

The best course of action if you want to prevent your fort from tearing itself apart would be to lock all the woodcutters and anyone else involved in attacking the yak outside, turn off job cancellation announcements (under the orders menu), or just turn off all their labors and wait for something to kill them.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:33 am »

What you saw was a "Stray Yak(Tame)".
Attacking it sent your fort into a loyalty cascade.
Next time, use the slaughter option(v-preferences-s)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »

how did he manage to attack a tame animal?!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »

how did he manage to attack a tame animal?!
Because It wasn't tame.

The best course of action if you want to prevent your fort from tearing itself apart would be to lock all the woodcutters and anyone else involved in attacking the yak outside, turn off job cancellation announcements (under the orders menu), or just turn off all their labors and wait for something to kill them.

...that I wanted to build a Human Mining Town, and modded in Humans...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:25:35 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »

Only in Dwarf Fortress are the tame...not tame.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:09 am »

Attacking your own entity (the human caravan) triggers a "loyalty cascade" where everyone involved in the attack becomes an enemy of your civilization and everyone who attacks them becomes an enemy and so on. It looks like your woodcutters (you'll notice there's more than one name) are all scaring each other while they're working because they're all enemies.
I thought that disloyal citizens attacked other civ members. I guess that this result might make sense, though.
Urist McCivEnemyWoodcutter: Doo dee doo...An enemy! RAAA-Oh, no! He's got an axe! *runs away*
Urist's brain: You idiot, you have an axe too!
Urist McCivEnemyWoodcutter: Oh, right, this thing. Doo dee doo...An enemy! RAAA-Oh, no!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.