Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dissapearing followers?  (Read 1401 times)

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dissapearing followers?
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

I've been playing Adventure Mode for a while now (around a month on and off) Not very good at it, always get killed, but I've repeatedly had followers randomly disappear for no obvious reason. An example of this was when I went to sleep in the mountains and had the one last surviving companion next to me - when I woke up (I slept within two tiles of him) he was gone, off the companion screen entirely, with no explanation.

At first I thought it was a boogeyman attack or something but they would have gotten me too - and the few times I have had followers long enough to see them actually die in battle, they DO appear on the companion screen (listed as "dead")

Even more confusing, this happens sometimes when I'm just walking around (not in travel mode, i mean actually physically walking) I was just in a snowy area a minute ago trying to find an encampment to kill generic bad guy with stupid name #6000 and I was searching around, my vision severely limited by trees. One of my companions lagged behind me somewhat (10 tiles or so, at a guess) and the other slightly moreso, to the exent that she briefly left my vision. A minute later I look on the companion screen and the one that lagged behind the most had completely vanished from the screen as well - and within the next 50 seconds, the other did too. There were absolutely no creatures around that could have killed them, and even if there were I would have found their bodies.

Current hypothesis: My adventure mode character is being stalked by Slender Man.

In all seriousness though - what's going on here?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dissapearing followers?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:36:20 pm »

Current hypothesis: My adventure mode character is being stalked by Slender Man.
So, you've heard of him too?

On Topic: I've had this problem when sleeping in the open sometimes. On one occasion, however, ONE BLOODY OCCASION, I lost a peasant companion from sleeping, and a few game years later (continuous fortresses), I find her rushing from HER shop and find my guy. I imagine that they hugged briefly after having not seen each other after several years.

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 04:46:48 am »

Yea, you see, i get this problem even when sleeping indoors. I slept in someone's house in a village only to go outside the next morning and find that all of my three followers were missing, only a day after I had recruited them too.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:45:38 am »

Now that could be a fun idea.

Mod in a race of Slender men?

Or hell, a creepypasta mod in general would be just lovely.

And I have had followers disappear too. It's kinda odd, I don't understand it either.

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »

See, it's getting to the point where it's hard to actually enjoy the game, seeing as any followers which reach any level of skill (enough to have their own title, as an example) just dispensary on me for no reason whatsoever, and there are less and less companions in any forts I go to because I continuously adopt them like an old woman adopts stray cats, only to have them disappear into the ether or whatever twelve seconds later.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »

It could be, perhaps, that you're 'T'ravelling immediately after sleeping?
It doesn't happen to me often, but I've heard that you can leave your companions behind by travelling away whilst they're still half asleep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »

In all seriousness though - what's going on here?

check the legends next time you are between chars.. you just might be.. (I had "narrow women" on one of my worlds, nuked it because of a misinstalled mod.)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »

Ah, I've had that problem before.

It turns out that while asleep your followers tend to scatter around you. This is most prominent when sleeping indoors especially inside a fort. I've had followers wandering outside the fort walls when I've woken up.

Anyway, whenever you wake up check you [c]ompanion menu. If your companion's direction marker is not bright green (within 1 map tile) that means that they will not follow you when you fast travel. If they somehow wander more than ~2-3 tiles away from you, then they disappear from your companion roster for some reason. If this happens, just leave the tile via fast travel. You can find them and re-recruit them at the nearest fort or friendly site (At least that's what happens in my game. I have no taverns so try checking there as well. Please correct me if I'm mistaken in this). Previous companions will always flash when you see them again.

Hope this helps a bit.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

Thanks for the Slender man bit. Guess I aint sleeping tonight.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:40 am »

They disapear if you travel while they are asleep or stunned-if you notice your companions are stunned when you first wake up.  You have to wait until you get the messages *Mr.X* is no longer stunned.  Once I did this I had no problems with missing companions, unless they got killed by a goblin.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »

Or if there off the screen I notice that if they arn't on the screen and near a cave, camp or city (two or so region tiles near one) they will stay there till you go get them I created a small town this way before.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.