Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas for a mechanism in a game I am working on  (Read 1444 times)

UristMcScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a mechanism in a game I am working on
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »

Well... Power here is more or less the ability to survive a fight. A powerful character can survive against many strong enemies with ease, a weak character will have a hard time bringing down a couple of Mettaurs.

Reflex, or maybe Reaction, determines how you will react to surprises, either attacks or traps. Also it's used to dodge high speed attacks.

Custom is a special to decide when you obtain cross fusions, and how effective those are.

Manipulation is a stat that allows you to, heh, manipulate the "Byte pool" to create things, from shielding auras to time bombs.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

Not sure if I understand what you mean. But you could just do what most RPGs do. You have the fighter class, which is basically just point and click, but capable of epic feats and being the star of the game. And you have the wizard class, with can be really epically awesome, capable of being immune to everything, summoning demons, teleporting around the world, raising armies of undead, stopping time... but they're hard to learn.

Just apply a similar system. Have maybe some kind of skills that increase damage, increase accuracy, increase armor and armor piercing. Then have some 'complex' skills, that make bullets bounce off you, that make you temporarily invisible, traps, minions, all that other complex stuff that they can combine with 'base' skills. Should be done in such a way that when you pick easy path, you don't get handicapped and will still win, but picking the advanced path will let you do awesome moves.

Also, I recommend keeping it as simple as possible, unless you're doing very extensive playtesting with people who love to exploit stuff. There are a lot of powergamers out there, and the powergamer's skill is in finding an unbalanced bit among the complexity, then exploiting it to hell.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

UristMcScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 05:24:32 pm »

The thing is, MMBN was not like most RPG, and I want to preserve and even extend that feeling...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »

When designing a game mechanic, it's best to think of things in generic terms. Especially if you're trying to get help with it. I can only assume MMBN is referring to Mega Man Battle Network; anyone who has never played any of those games (like me) isn't going to have a clue what to make of phrases like: "Custom is a special to decide when you obtain cross fusions, and how effective those are." That sentence just raises more questions than it answers.

From what you've said so far, it looks like you're planning on an isometric perspective RPG. Is it action-oriented? You mentioned a stat for reacting to traps and attacks; are there random encounters? There are still so many questions you need to answer before we can help. Including number two on my list from before.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

UristMcScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »

Okay, sorry Gatleos, should have tried to explain things in such a way that people who never played Megaman Battle Network would be able to understand.

So, an alternative way to explain the Custom stat is:
"The Custom stat decides the effectiveness of the "Cross Fusion" (a special mode that allows you to use the powers of another character)."

Also, yes, the game's supposed to be action-oriented, in a similar way to Diablo, Fallout, and many other games. There are no random encounters, as you can see the enemies. Enemies will react in different ways when seeing you.

As for that second question, I will try to describe it as briefly as possible:
- The game is set in the same universe as the MMBN series. Your char is a Navi (a kind of program used to navigate the internet). In the game you have a number of quests to complete, like in any RPG. Some of these are necessary, others are optional.
To defend yourself against viruses (the enemies) or evil Navis, you have an innate set of abilities, chips (that are re-usable attacks) and Cross Fusions (possibly other kinds of fusions will be added, but they are all similar).
Chips must be equipped. They work like cards in games like Magic or Pokemon: you play them to perform an action. Here they allow you to attack, defend yourself, make traps, change the environment, among other things. You can equip up to 25 chips, with up to 4 copies of the same chip. They can be used once per battle. When used outside of battle they have a cool down period.
Innate abilities are created and chosen when you create your Navi. They can be offensive, such as being able to shift your hand into a sword, defensive, such as making yourself become a statue, or misc., such as floating.
As with MMBN 4.5 players have no direct control over their character, they can only use the chips and suggest strategies.
When a enemy notices the player, or if he attacks an enemy, the battle starts. A circle shows the area of the fight. To escape you just need to step outside the arena. Other enemies may join in at any time. If you beat the enemy you get a reward based on how much damage you dealt, how much you took, and the length of the battle.

This, I think, is the gist of the gameplay.
Pages: 1 [2]