Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The KOTOR MMO  (Read 1059 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
The KOTOR MMO
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »

So have you heard of the KOTOR MMO, The Old Republic? I must say, I am not impressed with it so far. The graphics seem to draw too heavily from that awful cartoon show, and in my opinion, they handled  it in relation to the first two games rather poorly. Is anyone planing on getting it? Why or why not? Discussion on TOR, KOTOR or Star Wars welcomed.

In related news, there's a book coming out that focuses on Revan and the Exile, and I have read some of the things that go on in that book...and it is awful, fanfiction awful. They butchered the characters of Revan and the Exile, and killed off the exile. Retcons and character butchering are two things I hate in sequels, this does not look good for TOR. TOR has never really been something I have been planing on buying, (an MMO sequel to an RPG?) but this is pretty bad news for people who enjoyed the first two games in my opinion. I guess I will continue to cling to Runescape and my MUDS then.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The KOTOR MMO
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »

I dunno, TotalBiscuit's play of it made it look pretty decent. I don't play subscription MMOs as a rule of thumb, and am not really an MMO fan in general, which is a shame since I loved KoToR and KoToR 2 and I'd be more than willing to play this and just ignore the MMO part of it xD It does look like a typical wow-style hot-key MMO and I personally find them somewhat boring compared to more action-esque MMOs, but apparently a lot of people like that so whatever ^^

hang on, Revan and Exile don't have characters. They're PCs, meant to be blank slates who you can play with the personality you want 0_o I played The Exile as someone trying to do good and make a profit, and who was convinced to the very end they were right to decide to war despite the prices paid, who if in that situation again would do everything exactly the same.

Someone else may have played them as a repentant saint. You ruin things by putting them into a novel.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:49:51 pm by MorleyDev »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

So have you heard of the KOTOR MMO, The Old Republic? I must say, I am not impressed with it so far. The graphics seem to draw too heavily from that awful cartoon show, and in my opinion, they handled  it in relation to the first two games rather poorly.

The only thing you have said here is that the Graphics aren't your cup of tea. That by all means does not make a game bad. Hell, when I looked at the Graphics, the show didn't even cross my mind.

More detail over your dislike for the MMO would be appericated.

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:03 pm »

My interest in this pretty low. KOTOR had a great story and everything, but the actual gameplay felt incredibly stale and bland to me. The Old Republic looks to be a mash of KOTOR and World of Warcraft, neither of which have particularly engaging combat systems in my opinion. I already knew I was going to pass on this when I saw the initial gameplay trailers, but watching the video linked above just confirms it for me.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »

hang on, Revan and Exile don't have characters. They're PCs, meant to be blank slates who you can play with the personality you want 0_o I played The Exile as someone trying to do good and make a profit, and who was convinced to the very end they were right to decide to war despite the prices paid, who if in that situation again would do everything exactly the same.

Someone else may have played them as a repentant saint. You ruin things by putting them into a novel.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I am not to keen on book adaptations of video games. I played darkside through both games, so It seems rather odd that they would ditch everything in favor of a single canon setting for the third game. I would have hoped that they included an option like they did in the second game where you could choose Revans alignment and gender through dialogue, but I guess they wouldn't have been able to make money off of books and comics that way.

The character butchering I was referring to was removing the plot in KOTOR II about the exile where the player is a 'wound in the force' (you know, the MAIN plot). This is what made the PC able to defeat Nihlus, but apparently this trait is absent from the Exile in the book. They also made her die in a rather pathetic way-she gets stabbed in the back by some lord of the sith named Darth Scourge who we have never heard of before the book, as the exile and revan are about to confront the sith emperor. Scourge's reason for this is having a vision that revan and the exile will not defeat the emperor (the vision itself seemed almost copy-pasted from something Paul might have experienced from Dune) So the exile gets stabbed in the back and revan gets knocked out by the emperors lightning and imprisoned. Oh, and apparently Revan accidentally kills Candarous's wife at some point in the book.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »

So have you heard of the KOTOR MMO, The Old Republic? I must say, I am not impressed with it so far. The graphics seem to draw too heavily from that awful cartoon show, and in my opinion, they handled  it in relation to the first two games rather poorly.

The only thing you have said here is that the Graphics aren't your cup of tea. That by all means does not make a game bad. Hell, when I looked at the Graphics, the show didn't even cross my mind.

More detail over your dislike for the MMO would be appericated.

The character models are rather cartoony-this is one thing I have found rather jarring about the game, esp considering that the first two games had much better proportions.

The lore changes are rather jarring, as I mentioned in my previous post. (I swear, Bioware is the king of retcons)

Not too happy that they set the genders and alignments of Revan and the Exile. Made even more irritating because KOTOR II gave the player the option of determining this.

Being an MMO instead of an RPG. This seems like a bit of a cash grab.

All in all, I would be willing to overlook a few of these items, but there are just too many of them for me to get over.