Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: There's plenty of wine to go around, but my dwarves are dying of thirst. Why?  (Read 2961 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mixing Food on: 5 units of wine and 4 units of rum = one barrel with both

No Mix: Two half empty barrels

Is that really how it works in your game? Because it really shouldn't due to not making any sense unless we're dealing with compartmentalized (if that is even the right word) barrels or some shit. It should result in a mix that might be palatable or vomit-inducing depending on what the ingredients and the drinker's preferences are, but in the game it would probably be unusable similarly to water- and lye-containing buckets.
It's theorized that dwarven booze is solid. They tip the barrel upside down, have it slide slowly into their jaw, and then they chew. I'm fairly certain that, at the moment, they stack like this.
Solid or not (that would make sense, given that they don't need water to brew booze), booze doesn't stack like that. You'll never have a mixed-brew barrel or pot. If you have one, show it and prove me wrong, because I'm certain I've never seen such a thing. To mix different food types, dwarves have to remove items from one barrel, which they normally won't do, and even if they did, they couldn't with booze because it's liquid.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fairly certain that, at the moment, they stack like this.

We're going to need screenshots, otherwise your "fair certainty" doesn't mean squat.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile

You want lots of barrels/pots, and at least two kinds of liquor. Having only one option for booze eventually annoys your dwarves enough to put them off booze altogether, and if there isn't a source for water they'll start dying of thirst (not to mention being pissed off from drinking water).

If you've got surface soil, I recommend a surface garden. Get an herbalist to gather local plants and send 'em to your brewer until you have something you can grow for booze. Surface plants currently grow year-round, and come in a pretty good variety. Anything that isn't sliver barbs or hide roots can be turned into booze, IIRC, and a lot of them are also edible raw-- anything with "berry" in the name is a good bet.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:15:50 pm by proxn_punkd »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having only one option for booze eventually annoys your dwarves enough to put them off booze altogether, and if there isn't a source for water they'll start dying of thirst (not to mention being pissed off from drinking water).

Nope. I don't know where the fuck people got that silly idea in the first place.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile

Huh. For once a science experiment is actually relevant to my gaming, rather than being about creative ways to torture dwarves with magma.

I'm still going to recommend having a surface garden because of the amounts that can be produced.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Nope. I don't know where people got that silly idea in the first place.
That's easy - they read it on the wiki back when it claimed said behavior was true. I just checked and the 40d page for booze still says that, so I've removed it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile

To smooth out barrel-supply for the stills, one can, in the the stock [ p ] iles screen, reserve some number of barrels (or bins) to be used for jobs. Only stocks in excess of the number reserved will be used for storage in stockpiles.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could also use rock pots, you never can run out of rock...

Or you could just do that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should have at least as many barrels of wine as you have dwarves.  So no, you don't have enough.

To fix this, start by making sure that your dwarves aren't wasting barrels on storing things that don't need to be stores in barrels.  Split your food stockpile, have one stockpile that only takes booze and another that takes everything but booze.  Set the maximum barrels to zero on the stockpile that takes all the non-booze food.  This will reserve the barrels for booze.

Build more farms and plant plump helmets.  Make some more still and set them to nonstop production.  You can enable farming and brewing on any dwarf, although the more skilled dwarves will grow more plump helmets per farm tile and brew booze faster, so it's better to have a few very skilled farmers and brewers than a lot of unskilled ones.

This thread is relevant to my gaming education.

When you say, "making sure that your dwarves aren't wasting barrels on storing things that don't need to be stores in barrels", is that something I check to see if they're doing now? Or something I just set up so that they don't do that in the future? Related: is checking to see if they store things in barrels just (k) - mouse over barrel - see what the barrel is called / what it has in it? Or is there some sort of menu where I can check this sort of thing all at once?

What is a reasonable size of storeroom? IE, is 10x8 small, reasonable, large? Should I plan to make a giant room to store all the full barrels in? (Sort of related: When I have my craftdwarfshop set to make rock pot (repeat), where are those pots getting stored? In a specific store room where they take up one space, until a brewer comes and gets them? Or do they disappear into the ether until a brewer wants them? Is this something I should think about having a specific stockpile for?)

If I have make rock pots on repeat, and I have a still that is brewing on repeat, and my booze stockpile gets full... does that even happen, the stockpile getting full (such to the point where the brewer would stop brewing because he has no place to put what he's made? Sometimes my Z menu has said that I have Drink 350 (back when I had ~60 dwarves). Is that a lot?

I have a plot growing plump helmets year round and another plot growing cave wheat whenever that's allowed, and... something else the rest of the time. How do I know if more than one type of booze is getting brewed?

When a dwarf gets a barrel of booze (since someone here said one barrel per dwarf), and drinks the booze, what happens to the container? Do I have empty rock pots that are getting recycled and then filled with more new booze?

(Am I showing my newb quotient?)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

What is a reasonable size of storeroom? IE, is 10x8 small, reasonable, large? Should I plan to make a giant room to store all the full barrels in?
10x8 might be enough for 50 dwarves, but if you've got a population of 200 then I'd recommend a giant room with space for at least 400 barrels.

If I have make rock pots on repeat, and I have a still that is brewing on repeat, and my booze stockpile gets full... does that even happen, the stockpile getting full (such to the point where the brewer would stop brewing because he has no place to put what he's made? Sometimes my Z menu has said that I have Drink 350 (back when I had ~60 dwarves). Is that a lot?
I'd recommend against making rock pots or barrels on repeat - a better suggestion would be to put in a few dozen "Make 30 large rock pot"/"Make 30 wooden barrel" jobs and let them run, then check your stockpile situation once they're done. If you make barrels on repeat and brew on repeat, the booze barrels will just start to accumulate in the still and Clutter it, causing further brewing jobs to slow down significantly.

Even for a population of 60 dwarves, 350 drinks is not very much - the wiki claims that a single dwarf drinks 16 times per year (though I suspect that to be wrong - somebody, please do some ‼science‼), so a supply of 350 wouldn't last very long. For my fortresses, I typically do farming and brewing in short bursts (spend 1 season growing crops on fertilized farm plots, then brew them all) whenever my drink count dips below 2000.

When a dwarf gets a barrel of booze (since someone here said one barrel per dwarf), and drinks the booze, what happens to the container? Do I have empty rock pots that are getting recycled and then filled with more new booze?
When dwarves drink, they pick up a barrel and consume one of the units of alcohol inside it (so a barrel of "dwarven wine[25]" becomes a barrel of "dwarven wine[24]" once the dwarf is done drinking) and then put it back in the food stockpile. Once the last unit is consumed, then the barrel becomes empty and gets hauled to a furniture stockpile. The only time you will ever lose barrels is if you trade them away (which generally isn't very profitable) or deliberately destroy them (atom-smashing them or throwing them into the magma sea).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile

I use the manager to queue brewing jobs. That allows me to balance out production to stay slightly ahead of consumption. As a requisition completes, one can call for the next batch, and increase batches if stocks are trending down.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.
Pages: 1 [2]