Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disappointing Forgotten Beasts  (Read 2773 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointing Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:40 am »

I had an early forgotten beast that I thought would be fun and terrifying. It a a worm, with plates and such, and poisonous breath and tiny feathery wings. Man, it sounded fierce.

Then it was killed by the neighborhood snakemen. Didn't even manage to bruise a single one of them. What a shame.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:52 am »

I had an early forgotten beast that I thought would be fun and terrifying. It a a worm, with plates and such, and poisonous breath and tiny feathery wings. Man, it sounded fierce.

Then it was killed by the neighborhood snakemen. Didn't even manage to bruise a single one of them. What a shame.

That's awfully nice of those snakemen. You should give them a gift. Like, a 100,000 kilograms of stone.

Drop it right into their village. Do it.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:06 am »

Once I managed to catch a FB. Lured it into a dead-end with a dwarf and bllocked it's way out with a cave collapse. Wasn't too sure what to do with it though.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:35:02 pm »

My first FB came during a siege I had broken up swiftly. I couldn't find the FB and checked all of my soliders for the kill. Nope. It'd ran away.

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »

Most of my FB were disappointing, I think they just killed animals or children.
However, a web-casting humanoid "composed of flame" came to visit. It set the cavern on fire, then apparently died. None of my dwarfs killed it (as far as I know). It says that it's upper body is gone, but it says that for every dead creature, I think.

I have a gigantic scorpion swimming in one of the caverns. Perhaps I should drain the cavern and send my military in.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 02:53:20 pm »

That's awfully nice of those snakemen. You should give them a gift. Like, a 100,000 kilograms of stone.

Drop it right into their village. Do it.

Sadly that fort is long gone. Plus, I remember that the one who killed the beast turned friendly. I was going to send my army after the rest of them, and spare him so that I could have a snakeman mascot for the fort. But then I forgot.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »

I remember Slod, a giant slime with hair and a shell. He was supposed to become my fort pet. I tried to lure him and a blob composed of sludge in to a trap their new home with some doors. They fought with a -stone door- for almost a year... It was really disappointing, but at least I got a shell helmet out of it...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »

FBs in my current fortress have been pretty disappointing. 

A giant bunting trashed some rodentmen and also contaminated the 2nd cavern lake with lots of frozen extract.  He's now isolated in a pit next to a spike trap that almost killed him, and did kill the giant piece of salt monster that was with him in that trap.

The monster made of glass was spike trapped until crippled and then decapitated by a militia captain.

The fire-breathing worm set a cavern on fire and chased a peachick all over.  Then was lured into a spike trap room, killed, and served in the commissary.  (A mountain titan met a similar fate - spikes, and invited to be dinner.)

Two or three others (a flame creature, another inorganic substance blob) are dead - reasons unknown.

A giant turtle made of prase appeared - in the Circus.  I saw messages about him being engulfed in flame a few times before he died.  I suspect that was him killing flame-form demons.  And I note that there is a clown made of ash with a name now, presumably credited with the kill.

A giant feathered alligator is still out there - trapped between fungi-trees.  There's also a bear and another weird worm who recently arrived, but I have not been tracking them recently to see where they are.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »

I almost didn't notice the last forgotten beast to attack my fortress.

The only indication I had that something strange had happened was coming across a huge stack of forgotten beast meat in the food prep area.

I then had to search through the recent combat logs to find out what occured.  Apparently, a legendary miner encountered one while digging.  One hit with a bronze pick to the head was all it took to bring it down.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Steelgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 10:42:15 pm »

My first FB was a snow monster. It jumped a cow calf, and was quickly decapitated with a hoof kick. I think the engraving council had a meeting to decide if they even wanted to record that one.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:50 am »

A blob of snow.
With noxious fumes.
When I sent two soldiers to kill it, I expected them to fall over dead. Well, they didn't. The blow did, of course, but I had expected that anyway. When the "saviours" became suddenly blind, I expected their heads to rot off, or cry all their blood, or something. Nope. Their eyes stayed there.
The least disappointing thing was the blindness syndrome that spread quickly to a third of my fort and spontaneously cured itself every 6 months or something. And even then, well, it would always cure itself, and I couldn't manage to spread it to the whole fort.  ::)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 [2]