Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stay with Default DF or Switch to Genesis  (Read 928 times)

Black13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stay with Default DF or Switch to Genesis
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:55:24 am »

Hey Everyone,

So I've been playing DF for about a year now and feel pretty confident with my knowledge of the game.  I've been through about 6 forts which most end in FPS death.  However, by the time this happens I'm usually already becoming bored due to the lack of attacks or challenge.  The seiges and FB's are typically handled with minimal challenge.  I really enjoy the military aspect of the game so that leads to my question:

Should I switch to Genesis for the additional seiges and challenge or does DF get considerably more challenging as the fort ages?  I've never played the Genesis mod before and I'm not really looking to be swarmed by 10 seiges at a time, but I would like things to be a bit more involved than default DF seems to be.  Any suggestions would be great! 

Thanks!

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stay with Default DF or Switch to Genesis
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:00 am »

Go genesis, then do what I did, and mod in your own unique, playable race. It'll take a while to do, and they'll probably be far less volatile than Dwarves, but it's cool to create and use them nonetheless.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:22:22 am »

I personally play with a combination of the Fortress Defense mod using ALL of the races except the two flyer ones, as well as a self-made mod similar to Genesis's unique castes.  My mod has bestial dwarves for castes, though its not 100% finished yet.  Still, always interesting to see a squad of ten elite wrestler Badgerdwarves who're legendary biters go into action.  >:D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:23:50 am »

Just look at the first half of my sig. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »

I use Civilization Forge. It offers more races to trade with (Silver Xelics arrived in first summer for me!), more races to fight with, and WAY more types of plants, animals, and metals to make. It also uses Alchemy, and reintroduces the old Alchemy Laboratory from 40d.

I myself am most likely too much of a n00b to use other mods such as Genesis. I have no idea how other mods would work for me.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »

I'd say go for FD. As for me, all those others mods simply add a flavor to vanilla (and sheer numbers of stuff which isn't actually changing gameplay), so if you're bored with vanilla you're likely bored with them too.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:09:36 pm »

Get all mods you think are interesting. Play each one for 2-3 ingame years and you'll see if you enjoy them or not.
At least, that's MY rather ineffective method.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

Or go crazy and grab the mixmod
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »

Or go crazy and grab the mixmod
Thats if you want to play as ponies or kobalds with tits.
I like genesis but the coarse iron aspect gets annoying.
Mixmod is good but  frustrating to mod
My favorite mod combo is:
Monsterhunter universe
Civ Forge
Hydra Rising( An adaption of liberal crime fortress, adds a race composed of dwarves,humans,goblins,elves,and kobalds(with castes of each)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis is a great mod, Deon deserves a cotton candy medal for it.
or
Fuse the two into an unholy FUN crossbreed
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?