Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relations, community, etc.  (Read 970 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Relations, community, etc.
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:45 pm »

At the moment, as I understand it, relationships are lover/married/acquaintance/friend/pet.
The only time a dwarf will attack another dwarf is if ordered to, or tantruming/berserking, etc.
I'm sure that in any community, sizeable or not, nobody is going to like everyone else and be liked.

It'd be cool to see Dwarves argue, disagree, generally have varying bad feeling about some dwarves and be friendly towards others. This, while not an especially deep game mechanic, would give the relations more meaning, give the fortresses more personality, more fortress variability, etc. It'd be cool to see the web of friendships and enmities that spring up from a situation like that.

The effects of these relations could be programmed in, so dwarf A may attack Dwarf B if  they hate that dwarf enough, which could lead to the Dwarf C, friend of dwarf B disliking dwarf A.

It'd be interesting to do it on a percentage scale, perhaps, and have small interactions shift the hate/love 'slider' this way and that, creating potentially interesting alliances. For instance, if Dwarf C, already likes both Dwarf A and B, then they will side with the one they like the most. 

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Relations, community, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »

Dwarves do have a grudge relation. It just causes them to have a minor bad thought whenever they talk to their grudge.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »

Dwarves do have a grudge relation. It just causes them to have a minor bad thought whenever they talk to their grudge.
Ah, I didn't know that, or it at least doesn't show.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »

It should show up in the relations screen, where it lists all their friends, family, acquantances, etc.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Grudge

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »

It should show up in the relations screen, where it lists all their friends, family, acquantances, etc.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Grudge

I don't think I've ever seen that status. Still, if it's there it's there. How connected is it?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »

I agree that socialization could stand to be fleshed out a bit.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις