Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned Forts Should be taken over by bandits, not wildlife.  (Read 1830 times)

ableman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Abandoned Forts Should be taken over by bandits, not wildlife.
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

Unless the entire area has become depopulated, a fort should be taken over by bandits shortly after abandonment. Also, sometimes, after a siege the fort should be "razed" to the ground, where a bunch of the structure is collapsed. This applies to both dwarf and human forts. So, if you lose to a siege, your fort gets savaged and robbed to the ground. And then the remains are taken over by bandits, so reclaiming is a lot more difficult. You might even have to send in an adventurer first to clear out the bandits so that you could reasonably reclaim your fortress. Sorry if this has been mentioned.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Forts Should be taken over by bandits, not wildlife.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:00:49 am »

I love this idea. Perhaps they should assign the rooms that the player had designated to their own purpose. I like it. What about Nightcreatures claiming forts.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:01:49 am »

I support this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:10:08 am »

Me too.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:10:47 am »

Yeah that would be somewhat nice.
However note how goblin invaders titans and megabeasts already tend to linger after destroying your fort, making reclaims FUN.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:58:14 pm »

Why not a mixture of both? Areas of the fortress that are completely cut-off from others would have very own ecosystems.

I just wish that corpses in abandoned fortresses stayed in the same place. I was severely disappointed when I returned to one of my forts expecting to see the remnants of a massacre, only to find that all the bodies had been moved outside for some stupid reason.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:01:46 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

ableman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:32:14 am »

Also a possibility that sometimes a necromancer who wants a lair on the cheap sets up in your old abandoned fort. If he wants to set up on the cheap. Or possibly if your fort has for one reason or another collected tablets, after it falls some collapse occurs, and evil (or good)doers show up to excavate and unlock your secrets, though this shouldn't happen too quickly. The bandits ought to be the fastest settlers. Possibly if one of your dwarves turns into a night creature he could come back and make it his lair as well. Which lets me segway into another idea. Night creatures should sometimes kidnap your dwarves.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 04:08:19 am »

I agree, it would certainly make getting all those legendary adminite shoes harder. Perhaps after the invasion, there should be a chance the forces that defeated you would claim the fortress as their own.
Hello Hunam

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »

Yeah that would be somewhat nice.
However note how goblin invaders titans and megabeasts already tend to linger after destroying your fort, making reclaims FUN.
Ive had goblins defect from their nation and welcome my dwarves back with open arms! It was amazing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:32 pm »

I think that what happens to a fort after it is destroyed should depend on how it ended and, if destroyed by a group, how they decide to use it.

For example, if it is general starvation / mass suicide then wildlife move in, possibly followed fairly quickly by bandits taking over.

If an attacking army defeats you, then there should be several possiblities depending on who it is attacking the sort of civ they are from. (They may settle in it or rob it and take a fairly large number of items back to their site of origin).

Losing it to breaching the...ummm...lowest levels could result in it being a fortress of Fun.

Basically, it should feel like a part of the living world and the people who interact with it should treat it as such.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:25 pm »

Makes sense to me.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »

This is a great suggestion I love it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.