Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spotify is Amazing (and in the USA now!)  (Read 1359 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spotify is Amazing (and in the USA now!)
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

Been using a program known as Spotify recently, it's particularly awesome, legally streaming a ton of songs, from popular to obscure. (Even the soundtrack to the game Bastion, which was an indie game released this year, is on there.)

The free version invite only, but I can invite anyone who wants to check it out. It's supported by ads, and is limited to ten hours of listening (unlimited during beta though!) per month unless you subscribe for some monthly fee.

Has anybody else been using this awesome piece of software? I've been using it a ton recently to check out new artists/popular songs that I want to listen to once but not buy.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Spotify is Amazing (and in the USA now!)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:00 pm »

I'd be interested in this. I'm always checking out new, sometimes obscure music, and this seems like it'd be much nicer than what I do right now, which is hunt it down on youtube.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

I'd be interested in this. I'm always checking out new, sometimes obscure music, and this seems like it'd be much nicer than what I do right now, which is hunt it down on youtube.

Yeah, that's the same thing I was doing before I got a Spotify account, and it has helped a lot. You can PM me an e-mail account if you want an invite.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »

Eh, I guess I'll give it a shot~
Email can be accessed through the forums~

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »

I just went around and looked up some of my most obscure music trying to find someone it didn't know. It knew all of them. Although it only had a single album by three of my searches. Still, it sure knocks the teeth out of Youtube. This thing is awesome!
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:36:59 pm »

Been using it for a couple of years. Some labels pulled out a year or so ago, but I've only run into one or two missing albums. I can manage with the free edition, but anyone who listens to a lot of music will need one of the premium subs for unlimited playing time and offline mode.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

I can manage with the free edition, but anyone who listens to a lot of music will need one of the premium subs for unlimited playing time and offline mode.

... and Spotify for your mobile phone.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:30:56 am »

I can manage with the free edition, but anyone who listens to a lot of music will need one of the premium subs for unlimited playing time and offline mode.

... and Spotify for your mobile phone.
And iPod touch, I'll probably get the paid version once they limit the free accounts (after it's out of beta for the US) for that. My laptop may be tiny, but it turns off when I close the lid of the laptop, meaning it's not very practical to carry around whenever.

But still, it's awesome without it as well.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

I'd be interested in an invite as well.
Is it actually useful to find/discover new artists?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »

Thanks for the invite~
Of course, I managed to end up with pretty much none of my stuff on here~
How exactly does this thing get new music?~

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »

I'd be interested in an invite as well.
Is it actually useful to find/discover new artists?
Just send me a message with an e-mail address and I'll send it off.
I find it helpful to find new artists, each Artist has a "Related Artists" button, which seems to be pretty accurate so far. You can also share links to Spotify stuff that opens in the client, so if you have friends it's a nice way to share music.
Example links:
http://open.spotify.com/track/5W1MgofksFgF0r3DbH9I2w - Opens in the browser with info, and a link to open in Spotify.
spotify:track:5W1MgofksFgF0r3DbH9I2w - opens in Spotify (but the forum doesn't like it, so you'd have to paste into your browser)

Thanks for the invite~
Of course, I managed to end up with pretty much none of my stuff on here~
How exactly does this thing get new music?~

Aww, that's sad. Were you looking for Japanese music, by any chance? I was having a hard time finding any of that, but everything else I've looked for has shown up fine.

I'm not sure exactly how they get more music, but I imagine they deal directly with the different publishers, ect.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »

Well it's not just Japanese music, even though most of it is~
I meant when it read my music library for stuff~
My most hipster band is so hipster, it didn't even read it from my computer~~

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

Well it's not just Japanese music, even though most of it is~
I meant when it read my music library for stuff~
My most hipster band is so hipster, it didn't even read it from my computer~~
Ah, I see.
It imports music directly from your computer if it finds it though, but only from the folders you set in Preferences, I think. And it doesn't tell you when it's playing music locally as opposed to from their servers, but it still lets you send share links to people. I accidentally did that once or twice.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:03:10 pm »

Yeah, it's in my music library, which is set by default, then I reset that location, AND set the specific folders for the band and album, and nothing happened~
I am whatting all the fucks right now~

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 03:03:53 pm »

The spotify database can be a bit wonky with some artist names, especially if they're a bit foreign. They completely screwed up the norwegian band Gåte for instance. You'd think a swedish company would be able to get the letter å right.