Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Student's/Minor's Rights? (USA)  (Read 9136 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Student's/Minor's Rights? (USA)
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:57 am »

I don't think the ideal response is to force the district to waste taxpayers' money on petty corruption.

If there were some better way to handle it, then hell, go for it.  But I really don't think "waste as much money as possible" is a good outcome for anyone.
Money is the only thing these people generally care about, so forcing it all down the drain is the only way to get through the thick, neigh-impenetrable skulls of those involved in the "justice" system.
Good lord man, get your ego in check. It's not about wasting their resources to force what you believe 'through the thick, neigh-impenetrable skulls of those involved in the "justice" system'. If you have disagreements with justice system, then the way to resolve them is not to do that. Doing that just makes things worse for everyone involved.
I agree that it isn't a way to resolve problems with the justice system, my hypothetical is for a situation such as the one Grek was in, to make an unfair trial very, very difficult for everyone involved.
That's still making the situation worse, unless you somehow gain great enjoyment from bad things happening to others.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2011, 09:02:44 am »

That's still making the situation worse, unless you somehow gain great enjoyment from bad things happening to others.
Others who cause me problems, such as through an unjust trial? Yes, I do enjoy watching bad things happen to people I hate. That's not exactly a revolutionary concept.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2011, 09:06:18 am »

Others who cause me problems, such as through an unjust trial? Yes, I do enjoy watching bad things happen to people I hate. That's not exactly a revolutionary concept.
It's not a new concept, but it still makes you a terrible person.

And you have to question who exactly is causing you the problems and who is worse off from being difficult. If a court case like that is long and expensive, it doesn't mean that the lawyers, judge, or people who made the law will walk away with less money in their pocket. It means that money that would be spent on other things is cut, hurting those who have nothing to do with the matter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2011, 10:45:13 am »

And you have to question who exactly is causing you the problems and who is worse off from being difficult. If a court case like that is long and expensive, it doesn't mean that the lawyers, judge, or people who made the law will walk away with less money in their pocket. It means that money that would be spent on other things is cut, hurting those who have nothing to do with the matter.

The school district making the false accusation, the one trying to regain their supposedly "stolen" $40, would lose money.

Schadenfreude forever!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:31 am »

That's probably a ridiculous exaggeration. At worst, it just doesn't contribute to being a better person. I agree that in this situation it's shortsighted to place that as the highest priority (since, knowing school systems, wasting their money just results in fucking over more kids than accomplishing change), but as a general principle to be weighed with other considerations I really don't see the sense in insisting that everyone is a terrible person for having a common social instinct.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]