Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silverstones Lives!  (Read 1257 times)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silverstones Lives!
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:15:49 pm »

My young but ambitious fort survived the tantrum spiral that threw me from 50 to 7 dwarves and a few children, primarily by locking out all the miserable, tantrumming dwarves until only a single content miner was left, that one I let in again. After fixing the entrance traps and putting the dead to rest in hastily constructed coffins, migrants finally arrived, bringing me to 20 again.

Thatīs all.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverstones Lives!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

Always a proud moment the first time that happens, after this you can rebuild damn near any fort.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

What caused the tantrum spiral?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:21:45 pm »

Back on the road to recovery! Only for it to all happen again, and for you to recover from THAT tantrum spiral, and then getting ANOTHER tantrum spiral, and then recovering from THAT...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »

I lost 2 dwarves to ambushes, that wasnīt so bad, but then I sent out haulers to get his body to avoid a haunting, and thatīs when an ambush struck. Not that many died, but enough to leave 15 dwarves tantruming in the dining hall, then a berserker (and several harmless insane ones), more wounded, more blood, and miasma, two more berserkers running around, it was a mess. Thatīs when I threw out all the miserable dwarves, to avoid berserkers inside, and to stop them from making others miserable by throwing chairs at them. They would have felt better inside the legendary dining hall, drinking legendary booze, but with flying chairs and berserkers, the total effect would have been more misery overall. Occasionally a dwarf ignored the burrow restrictions and went inside to drink, I think thatīs what saved the last one, the occasional legendary meal.

I got a few usefull legendaries left, a miner and a brewer, so could have been much, much worse. I hadnīt started training a smith, so no loss there. And I ended up with a smaller fort, keeping my FPS up.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »

I sent out haulers to get his body to avoid a haunting, and thatīs when an ambush struck.
Ah, just engrave him a slab and let him rot.  What was he doing aboveground anyway?  Hugging trees?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:52:27 am »

My Treeslayers were clearing the surface of trees, I wanted to get the lumber inside before the next ambush struck, figures. A few ambushes had allready thrown themselves at the cage traps, I didnīt expect there to be more goblins out there.

As for slabs, this is my second try at .25, so I havenīt gotten used to using slabs yet, and anyway, I like to get those bones back into their graves.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:56:23 am »

Same thing happened with my current fort. It feels good when the bloodied, stinking survivors throw open the gates for the new immigrants. The fortress endures.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:30:47 am »

I'm teetering on the brink of a Tantrum Spiral right now in my fort. My Farmers suck and everyones hungry. :\
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:55:26 am »

Unhappiness is a sign of weakness, banish the misearable ones! That should help solve the hunger problem too, so your farmers donīt have to grow that much food.