Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining moods?  (Read 1794 times)

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining moods?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »

I had a dwarf with dabbling in clothier and proficient in mining. He claimed a mason's workshop, built an artifact dacite throne, and became a legendary miner.

Checked the bug tracker, it's already "resolved," but I'm going to enjoy mining being a moodable skill while it lasts. Anyone else enjoying free legendary miners?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Mining moods?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:31:25 pm »

Aren't legendary miners free to begin with? :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

Honestly, miners can go from dabbling to legendary in a pretty short amount of time with just normal work, so it just kind of seems like a wasted mood. I'd much rather have a legendary mason.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:21:25 am »

Legendary Masons are too easy. I get them just from making all the doors for my fortress.

Ledgendary Armorer and Weaponsmith are the 2 really really valuable ones.

Most other useful skills are easy enough to level cheaply.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:23 am »

Bah, I managed to train a dwarf from dabbling to legendary in wood burning once.

Architecture is the real challenge.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:49:15 am »

Mining is the easiest skill to hit legendary at.  Why do you think Morul (the most interesting dwarf in the world) first maxed Mining.  The metalworking skills are among the hardest to moodables to max so I often have dwarves wtih no moodable skills just make a single trap component or metal legging for a chance at legendary weapons/armor smiths instead of another useless bone/wood/stonecrafter. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:06:36 pm »

It's marked as resolved because it isn't a bug in the first place, by the way. Mining moods are intended.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »

Resolved doesn't mean fixed.
Look at the "Resolution" field, it can be for example:
-"Fixed"
-"Not a bug"
etc.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »

Indeed, mood miners claiming mason workshops is intentional
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 03:12:39 pm »

I was kind of hoping they would mine a wall for their mood, but ah well. "This is an artifact rock. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is circled with bands of rock. On the rock is a depiction of rocks in rock. The rock is in a pose of contemplation."
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:51:58 pm »

I was kind of hoping they would mine a wall for their mood, but ah well. "This is an artifact rock. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is circled with bands of rock. On the rock is a depiction of rocks in rock. The rock is in a pose of contemplation."

That's what I thought when I saw the title.

Either that, or demanding to mine out slade. You can just imagine him screaming out for a slade pickaxe as he slowly melts away in the magma bath you built for him.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy