Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Litter sizes, average offspring, and other birthing suggestions  (Read 3810 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Litter sizes and average offspring
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »

There should be a (again, species specific) chance of maternal death during childbirth.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »

There should be a (again, species specific) chance of maternal death during childbirth.

Another excellent idea. I will update the first post with the added birth system suggestions. Any others?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 10:57:36 am »

Some species children could kill eachother so only 1 remains,like the eagles do and some species of shark even before they're born!

Though I only lightly touched upon it, in vivo mortality (including "twin absorption", I suppose, in human terms, and definitely pre-natal sibling conflict/preferentialism) was something I was considering in the final throws of my prior post[1].

Noting that if Toady's determined to model things down to the Quantum level, this is probably already covered (at a point not significantly far 'down' to that Quantum ideal, or perhaps quite a bit of the way back 'out' of the eventual Planck-scale emulation), but I'm sure a couple of far less complex routines would be sufficient for the time being, even while adding that little frisson of 'true-to-life'ism. :)

[1] Post-natal mortality doesn't usually cover what might well be "congenital deaths", but environmental hazards and (where applicable) the possibility of being assigned to the 'caring' hands of the butcher already feature highly.
Pages: 1 [2]