Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Neighbors  (Read 825 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Neighbors
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »

I did a few searches but couldn't find anything similar..let me know if you have any (I may just have not found the right terms).

Reading the "World Tree" thread and a comment about dwarfs having to take the tree away from the elves made me think about something. What if at certain place (like a world tree if they were to happen) your fortress would co-exist with another fortress/camp etc.

This camp would have to be more developed then say Goblin towers etc (are they still in the game?) that are just stagnant..rather these camps are growing (or dying) and developing. This would create an environment where you could work together cooperatively or fight over resources. Often probably one would wipe out the other. 

In the example of the world tree, maybe you start digging into the tree (a section not occupied by the elfs) and start expanding. They try to make you go away but you burry yourself and this kind of cold war developed. As  your fortress gets bigger, they get more mad. You have to carefull construct your fortress not to touch theres--and perhaps they are building into yours so you are building walls to keep them out, etc. When immigrants come there is all out war as you try to protect them getting to the tree.

There are many other examples to with other races..building underneath a human village..or building in a volcano occupied by....

I know this CAN relate to the whoe WAR arc ad going out and conquor but this would be something somewhat separate and allow small newer forts to participate in IMMEDIATe struggle for survival with other civs before having to jump into the complexity of multiple forts/ etc.

Thoughts?

ps: this would most likely really tie in with "Hill Dwarfs" too.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Neighbors
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »

I kinda want to be able to build an elaborate underground fortress that has no need to be above ground, wait like 50 years and have the hippies move in and build a retreat above me, because they don't know we are under there as there is no evidence, so I can drop it into the ground.

Never gonna happen, but I can still dream.

I might be a little sadistic and crazy, I should be ashamed of myself.  But I am not.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Neighbors
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »

We used to be able to embark on human settlements, but there wasn't any interaction or growth with them, they just stood there, and you could steal all their stuff. Toady has made it now that you can't embark on settlements.

It would be pretty cool if you could embark in a cavern under a settlement, and then dig up into the settlement.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?