Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The persistance of time.  (Read 956 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
The persistance of time.
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:35 am »

Dumb question; I'm currently building a major dam for two streams that run parallel and then arc away from each other. Very entertaining.

My question however is this. I have the mechanisms in place, all the gears click and whir, I use a drawbridge and floodgate system to stop the water, if I were to abandon this fortress and start up one down the river a while, would it still be stopped?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The persistance of time.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:55 am »

Hmm, good question, will a dammed river still have flow down stream at another site?
My inclination is no, because I'm pretty sure it just checks to see if there is a river tile at the edge of the map, and starts making water, but I could be wrong.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:27 am »

If you would embark on an area that is downstream of the dam but not with the dam in that exact area, it will have no effect. I don't know what happens if you go there as an adventurer though. Try it :)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:06 am »

You should use DFhack to switch over to adventurer mode without abandoning and scout it out. See whether or not it has any effect further down then.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:44:02 am »

in fortress mode it will have no effect, in adventure mode i think it will.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:30:11 pm »

Fort mode: Nothing.  Any river tile that is at map's edge upstream will generate water, same as caverns.  Adventure mode: it will probably act weird if you travel from downstream to upstream.  You'll probably see the water deep, and then suddenly start to shallow out as you approach the dam.

It might be fun to embark downstream, build a dungeon under the river, and then have an adventurer walk the dry riverbed to reach the entrance.