Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gaahh! - Need Dwarven Military Help!  (Read 3532 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaahh! - Need Dwarven Military Help!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:51 am »

Ok, I will try the no schedule approach to training marksdwarves.
They have to be on either Active/Inactive schedules. What you want to do is give them no orders those months on the Active or Inactive schedule for that year. Or just maybe train order one month, followed by 3 months of no order. This series 3 times a yearly schedule, until they get really good
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 10:24:44 am »

4.It confuses me trying to remember who is in the military or not. I give all militia guys a custom profession, like, "Soldier-Mason", so I know who to put into squads and who not to.

this is genius >> totally doing this with my forts from now on.

Marksdwarves need to be trained off a schedual, just keep them training because otherwise they're useless unless they're all experts with the best bolts and crossbows you can get them :S
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 09:36:27 pm »

In response to the last post on the previous page, my training schedule currently is set to 3, and I have 8 dwarves in the squad!

Phanixis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:25 pm »

Ok, what seems to be happening is that as I lower the minimum number of dwarves that need to train, the dwarves that actually show up for training reduce as well, so there are never enough dwarves for the training to start.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:05 pm »

Ok, what seems to be happening is that as I lower the minimum number of dwarves that need to train, the dwarves that actually show up for training reduce as well, so there are never enough dwarves for the training to start.

I think what might be happening is that your squad leader is not showing up to the drill to give his demonstration. Due to lack of dutifulness.

This is sorta silly, but when you select a pile of dorfs to be in the military, go look their their personalities and find a dorf with a pref tag like "Has a very high sense of duty" for the squad leader.

What I think is happening is that your few dutiful dorfs are showing up for drill for a demonstration but your infallible squad leader is goofing off doing something else.

Should check it out.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:15 pm »

Try making squads of 2-3, from my experience they are more efficient.

Rockmole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

I hope I can use this thread to ask a question about Military.

I have a barracks assigned to my only squad with a T for train. I have a squad with 7 militia men, I have a schedule with pretty much default settings for 31.25 except I lowered the number of Dwarves required to 5 on each month.

Then I set the alert screen to Active/Training CIV] and in the second column marked the squad with Active.

I haven't defined any routes or burrows, they have training weapons to use, but the only thing they do is loiter and say "cannot follow orders" and that rotates with 5 dwarves a month. So what am I missing?

Edit: Shortly after posting I found some youtube videos, and just as I started watching I noticed the dorfs picking up training tasks, not sure how it just started working but after I watched the 51ppycup videos I was much wiser and now I love DF even more. :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:44:56 pm by Rockmole »
Pages: 1 [2]