Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armor padding  (Read 3444 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor padding
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:01 pm »

Adding my support to this, with this suggestion...

- Quilted armor pieces are created for the legs, upper body and head, along with chainmail pieces for parts that don't already have them (coifs and mittens, while chausses and leggings are made explicitly chain and no longer SHAPED). Shoes and non-metal boots are no longer SHAPED, to allow a dorf to wear metal boots over shoes/leather boots.

- Wearing chainmail without a quilted armor piece underneath (or leather, for the hands and feet) results in minor edge damage with every strike. Something like "The goblin swordsman strikes the dwarf in the upper body with the iron short sword, but the attack is deflected by the iron mail shirt. The iron mail shirt is jammed into the upper body, tearing the skin and bruising the fat"

- Wearing plate without chain underneath results in slightly worse injuries. "The goblin swordsman strikes the dwarf in the head with the iron short sword, but the attack is deflected by the steel helm. The steel helm is jammed into the head, tearing apart the upper lip's skin and bruising the fat, tearing apart the left cheek's skin and bruising the muscle, tearing apart nose's cartilage, tearing apart the left ear's cartilage."

Kevlar stops bullets because they deform, thus expending energy. A more rigid projectile, like and arrow, would cut through it easily. The same goes for blades.

Arrows won't pierce silk under-armour, but that doesn't protect the person wearing it. Mongols used silk robes to "catch" arrows they were shot with so they could more easily extract them, and reduce the risk of contaminating the wound.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »

Let padding be a decoration type, technically. I don't think we need another clothes or armour category. Then we could use the ability to define stockpiles based on decorations, however.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »

my try at makeing padded armor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

testing has show that it is better than plan leather (a 15 vs 15 duel:
ash bows with 100 iron arrows
iron helm and boots
iron mail shirts,leggings and mittens
team 1 had sheep leather padding, team 2 had plan leather
team 1 only lost 3 men
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 11:08:40 pm »

It would be nice if the game respected tensile strength and kinetic energy absorption, that way leather, cloth padding, silk, etc. could all be seamlessly integrated by modders.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.
Pages: 1 [2]