Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen broken?  (Read 1334 times)

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen broken?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:41:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, I feel like an idiot here.

I remember making ONE world couple of months ago (when I re-started playing adventure pretty much) in vanilla and it was normal.
My fame went up, I got quests to kill titans, dragons, etc.
I later got my foot taken off by a badger and therefore retired to peaceful life.

From then in every single world I generate, in every single mod (Or Vanilla), I haven't gotten ONE quest to kill a single beast worthy of note.
Here's all the quests I get
-Kill Bandit (6/7 of these total)
-Kill Night beast (4/5 of these total and they're all fairly weak)
-Kill this named wolf (or other fairly harmless beastie) with one kill (2 or 3 of these)

After that they tell me "IS THAT NOT TROUBLE ENOUGH?" or "I'M FLATTERED BUT I HAVE NO NEED OF YOUR SERVICE(s)" and I never receive a single quest again.
Sometimes if I find another civ (which can be hard, way too often in the world I generate almost all towns are abandoned) they have another 2/3 quests but then it's back to not wanting me.

The strongest enemy I killed since the dragon months ago was a random moose demon with ~300 kills who was the lord of an hostile Goblin fortress I wiped out.

Which history setting is best for the most epic quests by the way?
Can someone try uploading a good world of theirs so I can see if my issue is with the world gen or in-game?
In Genesis (With or without the WIZARDS! mod) preferably, but Vanilla is alright

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen broken?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »

You may just have a boring world. I would try upping the megabeast and semi megabeast caves in advanced gen

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:31 pm »

Maybe your playing on worlds without many sites/megabeasts?

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »

Every single world since then?

This happens both when I use quick creation and the couple times I used the more complex system (which I did a couple of times to disable Bogeymen but I generally learnt how to kill them now)

Maybe your playing on worlds without many sites/megabeasts?

The number of sites is at maximum in the simplified world gen.
In legends I can usually see a couple "super beasts" who have been alive since the beginning of the world and have countless kills.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:00 pm »

The world I'm playing now has no Night Creatures, there surely are boogeymen and records of trollslaying, but it seems no one wants my hippie to kill the frightening brides of night.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »

You could try stopping worldgen earlier. Less time passing means fewer beasts are killed off, but also means fewer and farther apart civilizations.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:25 pm »

How long are you running the world for? If most towns are abandoned, you're probably going too long. In the current version, civilizations die off rapidly over a few hundred years.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »

It's year 251, it's not a problem with the world, the civ my adventurer was put in is very secluded.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »

It's year 251, it's not a problem with the world, the civ my adventurer was put in is very secluded.
My question was directed at OP, not you.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:52 pm »

if basic peasants dont have any more quests for you go to a fort and then talk to the lord/lady general they will have someone for you.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized