Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those military Dwarfes in their shining armors [scheduling problem]  (Read 1079 times)

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've changed my schedule for my army but dwofs are using previous one. How to make it work properly? Does the store squad equipment "button" works? If so do I need separate armor stand and weapon rack for each dwarf in squad?

Sorry for "engrish". ;)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Those military Dwarfes in their shining armors [scheduling problem]
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:29 pm »

Be sure that you changed the right schedule for the right alert status.

Don't store weapons and armor, you should have them wear it full-time.  Part-time military is bugged, it's much easier to go full-time.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »

Dorfs don't mind wearing their full iron plate armor to bed. The only downfall is the reduced speed of that dwarf due to the heavy armor.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »

I'm asking about storing eq because i've strange issue:

I've three squads: identical armor sets, one with axes, one with hammers and one with spears. And they are constantly going from armor stockpile to barracks picking up equipment...

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »

did you accidently assign the same armor to different dwarfs?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »

Do I have to assign specific armor parts to each dwarf?

I've just ordered them to put iron//enter armor part here//

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:19:24 pm »

I've just ordered them to put iron//enter armor part here//

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you meant above, I'm pretty sure that you can't make a squad only wear a certain type of metal armor like that. It sounds to me that what happened is when you were setting the armor for them to wear, you went and selected "specific armor" and then Iron //whatevers// and thus assigned the same iron //whatevers// to different dwarfs. I'm fairly certain you have to either select "metal //whatevers//" and then they will take whatever is available, though they take the best available, with higher positions, in the squad, getting higher priority, for the best gear, or the "specific armor" option, which, opens a list of all the armor in the fort and allows you to choose individual armor pieces, to assign, to a specific dwarf.

I hope the above makes sense to you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »

The back and forth to armor stockpile is probably dwarves "trading up" as better pieces of equipment come available. For example, your commander goes and takes off his =steel breastplate= in favor of a masterwork breastplate, then his subordinate trades his *steel breastplate* for the =steel breastplate=, and so on. It can go on for a while depending on the size of your military and how well your boots/gauntlets and such match, but it should settle down on its own after a while.

As far as assigning armor, don't specify particular items (*iron gauntlet* or whatever,) unless you feel particularly anal about their equipment. Instead, assign an armor type (gauntlets, for example) and then specify the 'M'aterial to be iron. Dwarves will get as close as possible to your designation- copper until they can get iron, low quality until they can get high quality, etc. You can also choose "metal" as a material, and dwarves are pretty good about choosing the best material on their own. The only exception I've noticed is a tendency to take steel warhammers over silver ones.

I haven't messed much with the equipment storage options specific to the barracks, as I find that just having a stockpile nearby is sufficient.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »

You can use the "M" option to select the material.  You can indeed specify "wear any iron greaves" or you can specify "wear this set of iron greaves".  However, it's usually best to say "metal greaves" because they will pick up the most expensive equipment they can.  That means they'll pick up steel when it's available, and they'll trade their copper for iron, and they'll pick up ☼Masterworks☼ instead of -good- when available.  The only time it's important to specify "bronze breastplates" is if you want to reserve the steel things for a different squad.  Dwarves actually do a good job of picking up the best equipment laying around.