Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A volcano that flushes like a toilet...  (Read 4667 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: A volcano that flushes like a toilet...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 12:23:41 am »

I find it odd that you're actually getting collapse messages, since i make magma falls all the time without getting any, it might be because the magma is spawning over a hole which makes it collapse rather than flow?
Anyway when you've turned off the annoying collapse messages you could plug up the volcano using buckets of water. I'll leave that to your own imagination.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zapitron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 01:05:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, yes, I see your problem.  You're trying to embark somewhere in the "Trans-Pecos" part of Texas, right in between the Guadalupe mountains and Big Bend.  As far as west Texas goes, it's a pretty nice area to see at least once, but it's still west Texas and not really a good place to embark.

(Just struck by what that screenshot looked like, to me.)
"They killed our last caravan?  That's it, I've had it.  Instead of arming those hostile dwarves with our exquisite wooden swords, let's see the disappointed look on their faces when all we offer them are our useless tamed grizzly bears."

SilentThunderStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:08 am »

I would be quite willing to dump a save to you, if I knew where to stick it... any suggestions?

I would also be willing to send world gen parameters as well, but, to be honest, I don't know how to get them or dump them.

Not really a newbie, in that I have had several successful (more or less) fortresses... but definately a newbie when it comes to custom gen's and utilities...

Part of the problem is that I am running Ubuntu 11.04, but am new to Linux, and new to those tools, so trying to get both of them figured out at once has been more of a hassle than the apparent gain, so far. Was planning on expanding my abilities once I get more experience with Linux, but am certainly be willing to experiment if someone would step me through.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:40 am »

I played an embark with a leaking volcano before. I'm not sure about how leaky yours is, but maybe it's just leaking into the caverns, where it can fall into deep water, form an obsidian chunk which then collapses.

If you are lucky, maybe you will have magma once the caverns are completely filled with magma (though the temperature calculations+flow will probably kill your fps).

It is however possible that the magma is flowing to an open map edge or into hell, then you are out of luck :(

SilentThunderStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 09:50:34 am »

Nopers... As per the pictures, this thing is draining at the very bottom.

All the way down in spoiler territory.

The good news about that is that it will instantly kill anything killable by magma... which represents about 0% of that specific population.

The bad news is that the edges of the map should be open down there, which means that the magma will imply flow off the edge of the world and disappear.... which could be a bit better then the alternative of my dwarves having to wade hip deep through magma once they get down there.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:38 pm »

I would be quite willing to dump a save to you, if I knew where to stick it... any suggestions?

I would also be willing to send world gen parameters as well, but, to be honest, I don't know how to get them or dump them.

Not really a newbie, in that I have had several successful (more or less) fortresses... but definately a newbie when it comes to custom gen's and utilities...

Part of the problem is that I am running Ubuntu 11.04, but am new to Linux, and new to those tools, so trying to get both of them figured out at once has been more of a hassle than the apparent gain, so far. Was planning on expanding my abilities once I get more experience with Linux, but am certainly be willing to experiment if someone would step me through.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

SilentThunderStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

Thank you kindly!  Consider it dumped, as soon as I finish sign up and get back to my laptop... should be this afternoon.

That being said, the source of this mystery has been discovered.

A friend of mine, the very same one that introduced me to this game, had decided to 'help me out', apparently.

This was NOT a vanilla game, as I had thought.  He had tampered with 'Create World From Advanced Parameters', for the purpose of making it easier for me to discover volcanoes with both metal and flux.  Every 'Create New World' that I built was apparently built on this template by default.  Also apparently, this template had some strange side effects; in addition to the flushing volcanoes was a notable lack of iron ores and precious metals (silver, gold, aluminum, etc. - tin and copper were quite common; but you can't cast an ax in brass, apparently)... they could all be found, but were comparatively rare despite 'frequent' being chosen for minerals.

This was discovered after creating NUMEROUS worlds, all of which had an unusually high instance of volcanoes with listed flux, and an unusual tendency to have volcanoes which drained at various speeds... in fact, on all the maps generated, flux + volcano = draining volcano.  This initial one was, by far, the fastest and most obvious.  After expressing my frustration to him, he admitted his 'assistance'.

The changes he had made were apparently based on the wiki.  To solve the problem (so I could have a working volcano), I ended up deleting the profile he had created, as I do not know enough about the engine to hand modify it back to a working format.  Unfortunately, this profile was 'Large Island'... which I wanted.  A workaround was found, however, by simply deleting all of the pre-built profiles.  This resulted in a true default of 'Large' which is what I am know using.

My apologies for the confusion.  Upload will be here this afternoon.

Pages: 1 [2]