Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Journey to the [s]center[/s] CENTRE of the earth  (Read 1870 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Journy to the center of the earth
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

... combining magma and water during the fall? Now, there's potential. I'm feeling a fey mood coming right up...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »

Anyway, water is the way to go about this. Arms made of cast obsidian, with water inside, would work flawlessly. They fall, the ceiling collapses, water is pushed up, combines with lava/magma to make obsidian. The arms/tunnels would have to be (long)x3x3 for this to work.

This will not work either.  As explained in the thread I linked previously, falling walls and falling water do not fall at the same speed.  When you trigger the collapse, the walls will travel downward as far as they can instantly, leaving the previously enclosed water hanging in midair.  The water will then fall downward considerably more slowly, eventually landing on the surface of the magma and making obsidian.  You might get a solid platform of water on top of the magma, but no enclosed pod.

Sphalerite: Magma pistons only work with solid constructions. Water should just displace to the sides, right? I know it teleports above a solid structure; but not an open-top one when there's space to the sides?
Water pistons work with solid natural (not constructed) walls.  It doesn't matter if the piston is solid or not, because all falling walls fall as individual blocks.  Falling structures of natural stone effectively don't have any physical cohesion - they are essentially treated as if each block was falling all by itself one at a time.  So the magma will teleport upwards regardless of whether you are dropping a solid piston or a hollow shell.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »

I will begin construction soon.

This could work very well if I do it right...
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to the [s]center[/s] CENTRE of the earth
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »

That's very helpful, Sphalerite; thanks for the corrections!

It looks like the only plausible way, right now, to do this is to create a spire of obsidian reaching down into the depths of the volcano, with a massive staircase carved down the middle. It would have to be cast layer-by-layer.

Unless I'm missing something here, there's no way to make a surviving pod, unless supports don't deconstruct.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't try!

Oh, and Sting_Auer, I don't think strike tags work in titles. It's just showing the tags themselves.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

I'm not even sure, since they can't see through obsidian, if your dwarves can actually discover anything through the capsule.
Well, dwarves can see through fortifications, so you can carve those into the walls and see out that way.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 06:37:49 pm »

I'm not even sure, since they can't see through obsidian, if your dwarves can actually discover anything through the capsule.
Well, dwarves can see through fortifications, so you can carve those into the walls and see out that way.

Magma also flows through fortifications.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »

This could become interesting to say the least...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 07:51:43 pm »

Bear in mind that Semi-Molten Rock destroys anything that falls onto it, and AFAIK this includes natural walls- this is why you can't just drip water into the centre of the volcano and tunnel down that spire. So this will only work if your volcano does not have SMR at the bottom, a prospect I very much doubt.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »

And THAT, my friend, is why you do it slowly, one Z-level at a time, starting at the edges of the Pipe, and mining from the outside in.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »

Ok, so i've never cast obsidian.  But i've heard you can encase items in it.  Could you use this method to move supplies down there safely?  Also, Dwarves don't have to stand in a "open space" and be smashed.  They can stand on up/down stairs carved into the obsidian.  This would create a structure with zero open spaces.  The dwarves would have to dig through the "cargo obsidian" to get materials to build with and to make empty space to make constructions in (after they've landed).
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

Ok, so i've never cast obsidian.  But i've heard you can encase items in it.  Could you use this method to move supplies down there safely?  Also, Dwarves don't have to stand in a "open space" and be smashed.  They can stand on up/down stairs carved into the obsidian.  This would create a structure with zero open spaces.  The dwarves would have to dig through the "cargo obsidian" to get materials to build with and to make empty space to make constructions in (after they've landed).
I don't know if encased items fall in cave-ins; that would be an interesting !!science!! experiment.
However, I DO know that stairs are not preserved in cave-ins; anything that falls through stairs completely destroys them.
Worse, dwarves do not fall with the cave-in; if you have dwarves on a floor and drop the floor, the floor will instantly hit the bottom and the dwarves will be stranded in mid-air, to subsequently fall down after (possibly to their deaths, depending on the height). And if you have a ceiling above your dwarves, they'll probably be obliterated before they have the chance to fall.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0
Pages: 1 [2]