Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: School/University/Teaching zone  (Read 899 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
School/University/Teaching zone
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

Works like military training.

Assign a dwarf with a good skill with a high rating. Dwarf traits/personality + skill rating + teacher skill is used to calculate a increase per time unit increase.

Schools are created like zones.  Observer/student skill reflects how much a dwarf benefits from the increase per time unit that the teacher is "giving off".

Too many students and too few teachers reduce time, much like too many animals in a pen/pasture makes them fight.

Room effiency is increased by room quality, room quality is decided by fitting objects, and the table/chair furniture.

Physical skills and military skills are not used by the school zone. Mining, woodcutting, swimming therefore is not learnable by using a school zone.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: School/University/Teaching zone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »

I am not sure you know exactly how schools worked during this period.

Also a school wouldn't teach... well... just about any of the skills dwarves currently use. Especially not the trades.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »

Yeah I do. Teaching was done among families or tribe elders. It was monkey see, monkey do. They would literally show the process of something to each other. Now how hard is it for you to imagine a cheese maker teaching other cheese makers? Or a milker showing how to.. milk the fastest. Maybe they have props. Maybe they have made a wooden... cow... breast. And they are practising the best.. technique. I mean, how hard is that to imagine?  8)

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »

Your thinking in terms of an academic setting.

the crafts/trades were done through a system of apprentiship or rather... by actually having them do it (and usually wasn't done on mass either)

Cheese makers wouldn't go into a teaching zone and teach children (or adults) any appreciable amount of cheesemaking.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:25:38 am »

I think there should be a mechanic where the novice stonecrafter could walk over to the legendary stonecrafter and look at what he is doing and gain some exp, perhaps as an alternative to idling, but not necessarily inside a special zone.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:33:28 am »

This, I believe, is planned
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:10:10 am »

Also a school wouldn't teach... well... just about any of the skills dwarves currently use. Especially not the trades.

Medicine.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:15:38 am »

Well, I would think that if they added schools, they should add dorms, and allow dining rooms to be assigned to more than one person that way you can make cafeterias, for the school.  you could make apartments surrounding the school for the snobs who don't want to live in the dorms and eat school food.  Speaking of which, you would need stockpile in the cafeteria that is all of the lowest quality food so that the school eating experience will be appropriate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »

Medicine.

Ahh medicine, because it is a REALLY expencive trade to teach, that would also be done on the field.

Though I believe that medicine started being taught in classroom settings in the 1600s?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:24:11 pm »

Medicine.

Ahh medicine, because it is a REALLY expencive trade to teach, that would also be done on the field.

Though I believe that medicine started being taught in classroom settings in the 1600s?
Jurisprudence, medicine and theology were the three basic/essential courses in any university. Europe started to install universities from the 11th century onward, after the models in Cordoba and Constantinople in the Islamic and Byzantine empires, where formal education continued practically uninterrupted from the heyday of the Roman Empire.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »

Ignoring that these arn't universities.

To what extent medicine?