Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brooks as Water Sources  (Read 2605 times)

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brooks as Water Sources
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »

So, I embarked on an aquifer to try my hand at caveins. Suffice it to say, I need practice as it put a guy in the hospital. "That's, ok though," I thought. I have what I need to fix him up... except water. I have a brook on the map but I can't seem to designate it as a water source. What am I doing wrong? I saw a post a while ago about brooks being bugged but I didn't find a bug in mantis on it so I wasn't sure if it's still a problem or not.

Also, I had no stones. Forgot to bring any. So, no mechanisms for wells. Lesson's learned. :)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks as Water Sources
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:09 pm »

Did you channel the surface of the brook?
Never pet a burning dog.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »

Yep. Tried that.

Also tried channeling it and channeling it into a pool. Also, a 2z deep pool. Also tried putting the zone over the brook surface hole, beside the hole, beside the channel dug beside the brook. down by the brook that I'd channeled out. I could set it as a fish zone. I couldn't set it as a water source.

I haven't actually used the "water source" feature in the past. I've always built wells.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:11 pm »

Are you placing the water zone over the land adjacent to the water or just the water itself?
(Your second post makes it sound like you've got this one covered, but I figured it was worth asking just in case.)

If so, then did you embark in a saltwater biome?  All water on such maps is salty, even that in rivers, aquifers, ponds, and thus even the rain itself.  The best way to tell, in fact, that water is saltwater is the inability to designate it as a water source.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:15:55 pm »

I haven't actually used the "water source" feature in the past. I've always built wells.

Build a well. They work, even in Salt Water biomes.
Never pet a burning dog.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »

Are you placing the water zone over the land adjacent to the water or just the water itself?
(Your second post makes it sound like you've got this one covered, but I figured it was worth asking just in case.)

If so, then did you embark in a saltwater biome?  All water on such maps is salty, even that in rivers, aquifers, ponds, and thus even the rain itself.  The best way to tell, in fact, that water is saltwater is the inability to designate it as a water source.
I don't think it's a salt water biome. It's a brook source. The water doesn't say "saltwater". I'm not sure if it would or not though.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »

I don't think it's a salt water biome. It's a brook source. The water doesn't say "saltwater". I'm not sure if it would or not though.
It wouldn't.  After embark, there's no way to tell except:  (a) trying and failing to mark it as a water source, or (b) building a well over it and checking waterskins and buckets after people fill them from it.

You should have gotten a warning upon trying to embark, in the same pane that you'd get a warning about freezing biomes and aquifers.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »

I'll assume that's it then. I don't remember the warning on the embark screen. I knew there was an aquifer there so I may have dismissed the warning out of hand expecting it to warn about the aquifer.

Thanks.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »

Sorry, I was going to say that things aren't necessarily all that bad since a well would solve the issue, but then I reread the problem with an aquifer and no stone.  Ouch.

I suggest going to the Wiki on Aquifers and checking out the change-in-layer and cave-in tricks for punching through aquifers.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:47:19 am »

That's what I was working on but it was a hilly area and I channeled something early I shouldn't have which caused a small collapse that badly wounded my primary miner. Hence, an early and sudden need for clean water for cleaning and for someone to bring him water... although, why in the world would someone bring a wounded dwarf water to drink? That's not right at all. They should bring them alcohol. Clearly dwarfs have no sympathy for the wounded.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:34 am »

... although, why in the world would someone bring a wounded dwarf water to drink? That's not right at all. They should bring them alcohol. Clearly dwarfs have no sympathy for the wounded.

Maybe even dwarves aren't immune to increased bleeding out from alcohol in the system?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:05 am »

Try making a screw pump that spits water into a constructed wood tank, including a floor, then designating the water in the tank as a source.  I had luck with that on my oil rig fortress, and by luck I mean it worked once then stopped and none of the others I built worked. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...