Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Logs and Blocks  (Read 1474 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Logs and Blocks
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 01:13:33 am »

I've got a saved fortress made completely from gathered clay. I did add some custom reactions to make a few things moody dwarves desire (screw pressed mudstone and rough quartz, plus clay/glass/wood mechanisms), but it's entirely constructed without mining out a single tile.
And holy frick does it take a long time to build living space for even a measly 50 dwarves...

Anyway, yeah, wood logs should be processable into multiple boards (blocks) so it doesn't take deforesting your entire jungle embark to make a small house.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »

You know, with some AHK and tweak's tile-edit, possibly could hack that tree-house sort of thing into existence on a map ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:38:09 pm by Reelyanoob »

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »

I'm thinking about modding this in, not the tree house but, I could go to the raws, add an object called wood plank, so 1 log -> 5 planks, and the log itself would be useless to anything but construction. I know what to do, go to the object raw, find the wood logs and mod them, then add the planks and a reaction at the carpenter (or make a new carpenter as I don't know if you can add reactions to a workshop), and make the wood item use planks instead of logs. It would take a lot of work, and I have no idea of what I should change especiafically.'
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 06:42:51 am »

Oh, one thing I just thought of. While the trees in this game do produce unrealistically small amounts of wood, they also grow unrealistically fast, often maturing in under a year (IIRC), so it all balances out.
I think of the trees in DF as types of bamboo: low and fast-growing.

Alternatively, think of them as being coppiced http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice
(tl; dr: some trees, if cut down near ground level, will rapidly regrow lots of small branches, which can be harvested regularly).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 07:06:16 am »

I'm thinking about modding this in, not the tree house but, I could go to the raws, add an object called wood plank, so 1 log -> 5 planks
Ummm...Lumber Mill modz

Already exist.
Pages: 1 [2]