Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instant Moss?  (Read 2275 times)

Sawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Instant Moss?
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »

Just started my fourth embark playing DF and as soon as I started digging into the soil, moss appeared, and now most of the underground plants (Goblin-Cap mushrooms, etc.) are growing all over my fortress.  (Got some funky-colored wooden beds, now.  :) ) Previous info I've read said that this only occurred *after* breaching the caverns (and that had been my experience in the few games I played before.)

So, is it odd to have subterranean plants "activated" immediately?  I've examined the map and cannot find evidence that the map somehow generated with caverns already exposed somewhere.
Thanks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Moss?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:28:29 pm »

Indeed that would likely be a bug. Cavern vegetation should never appear in your fortress before the caverns have been opened by the dwarves.

Is this embark a reclaim of an earlier fort (even just to check out the area), regardless of whether you ever breached a cavern? Sometimes that is blamed for odd bugs related to the landscape and flora.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »

For some reason, the game thinks the caverns are breached at your site.
Make sure the caverns are not breached, and also that you aren't (somehow) sharing tiles with a site that had caverns breached.
This is likely just a bug.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:59 pm »

It's funny, as my third fort on this world has the same thing.

Started digging and bam, cave moss and shrubs growing everywhere.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:30 am »

This happened to me for the first time yesterday.  I double checked and there was no breach to the caverns.  I only had moss though, no shrooms.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:45:56 am »

1: Is there a cave?  Naturally formed caves are small mounds of rock with an opening in one side that leads down to the first cavern layer.  I always generate perfectly flat worlds, except these caves are a bump about 5 levels high, usually with an entrance at Z0 or Z+1.

2: Did you ever play a fort on this world?  I've observed that if you embark, dig down to magma, abandon fort, and start a new fort anywhere else in the world, then your civ already knows about magma and you can make working magma forges.  The same may apply to cavern moss.

3: Is there a cave on the 16x16 embark?  I've heard, unreliably, about cavern creatures appearing on an embark because there's a cave just outside the embark, resulting in fun draltha herds on the surface.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:11 am »

Checking for a surface entrance to the first cavern layer is what I'd look for as well.  I haven't had this happen to me at all, so i really can't say beyond that.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Drapestar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:22:38 am »

i've had this before too. i just assumed it was because in a previous fort in that world i have breached the caverns and it carried over or something.
1) kill parents
2) rename batman
3) if the child survives until maturity, make him a militia captain

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:34:30 am »

That happens to me every once in a while, usually after I've been editing the raws a bit. It may be that you have duplicates or something.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:45 am »

I've observed that if you embark, dig down to magma, abandon fort, and start a new fort anywhere else in the world, then your civ already knows about magma and you can make working magma forges.

My god, man, are all Dwarven civilizations run by ELVES?!
To not know about MAGMA?!?!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:59 am »

Yup, got the same thing in my world. It first occurred after messing with df hack and runesmith, so I assumed something got screwed  up and moved on.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Sawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  This is a world that I've played a few previous fortresses on, but the previous two fortresses I played did not get the "instant moss", and they had aquifers which I failed to breach before my dwarves were destroyed by enemies, so the caverns were never breached on them.  And, I haven't tried any hacks or mods.

I guess I just got lucky. (There's no cave visible anywhere.)
It's actually kind of nice to have a source for wood safely underground.  If I get tired of looking at the colorful floors, they can be paved with Floors of obsidian or marble.  I may dig out a big room on the soil layer as an Underground Tree Farm, that others have mentioned in the forums (assuming that's how it's done).