Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is playing with Aquifiers turned off considered cheating?  (Read 1599 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is playing with Aquifiers turned off considered cheating?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 11:24:24 am »

I'm among those that love aquifers, btw.
Me too, to an extent. I make my dwarves live like humans do, and by reinforcing this, I've made them non-[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]. So, yeah, aquifers are a nifty infinite source of water. Fresh if you're far enough inland, salty if you're either on an island or if you're close to the shoreline.

If I'm trying the Cave Challenge or if I'm trying a normal dwarven mountain hall, however, aquifers are a HUGE pain in the ass. ESPECIALLY if they're more than one level. I never did manage to pass through a multi-level aquifer.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:19 pm »

Caves make the cave challenge way easier to start.  There's typically 2-3 trolls living inside, but once you get past those (you did bring a military, right?), you can move right on down to the cavern.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »

Aquifers off isn't cheating, using aquifers in all the ways they can be used is practically cheating--easy waterfall fun, free water, in a cold map, limitless ice--what's not to love? 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »

They're usefull for draining water and getting infinite water. Pros and cons with them.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »

It isn't cheating for one simple reason:

You can achieve the exact same result (a nice site without an aquifer) without any modding if you are simply willing to waste more time generating worlds and hunting for aquifer-free spots. There is no risk to doing this, it is simply boring. Since boredom is not a desirable effect of a game, especially not DF, it would seem simpler just to mod out aquifers and save yourself some time. This also applies to any other world-gen-related mods, such as making a 'crush rock to sand' reaction for maps without sand (since it's impossible to search for sand in the finder).
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »

Yes it is cheating.
You should delete DF from your computer and never play it again.
In fact, you should format your whole harddrive and hit yourself on the head with a hammer so you get amnesia and forget dwarf fortress even exists.
Sick bastard.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »

I have advanced worldgen that gives me flat, forested areas with no aquifers and plenty of resources.  Why?  If I were playing without this, then I'd spend an hour searching for a flat, forested area with plenty of resources.  If I play with this, then I spend 2 minutes finding a temperature I like and I'm playing.  I'm picky, I understand this, and I'm just cutting out a lot of time that I would be wasting looking for a site otherwise.

More on the topic of "is advanced worldgen cheating" I would say no, and aquifers are a form of this because they alter the site choices.  Ultimately, you're going to A: Find the perfect embark rarely, B: Settle for what you don't want, or C: Stumble upon something astounding by accident.  A finely-tuned worldgen will give you A: Perfect every time, and make you happy with whatever mood you happen to have.  Want a terrifying glacier?  Do it!  Want a good swamp?  Easy!  Want to play a purely random world and find a mountain by an ocean with a volcano?  Lol, good luck!

If you tailor the site to what you want, then you get what you want and you start playing sooner, and you can pick exactly what you want.  If you feel like playing a certain thing, you can play that thing within 10 minutes of getting the idea.  That, lets you spend a lot less time combing the map, and a lot more time drowning elves in magma.
Pages: 1 [2]