Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Claimed clothes are killing me  (Read 2566 times)

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Claimed clothes are killing me
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

Im seriously beginning to hate my dwarves for claiming clothes and never wearing them!  It's so frustrating! I had a good sized gobbo siege hit my fort, and i survived, but sadly my FPS did not.  Before this particular siege, I had about 30 FPS, which wasnt great but I was doing well managing with it.  After the siege now a whole season later, I have only 11 FPS, the only that changed in my fort in this time in a major way was I now around 500 new items of clothing (in addition to clothes claimed in past seiges) my dwarves have claimed laying on my battlefield I can do nothing about.  I really hate this issue especially since it seems to be killing my FPS so much.

Just for info, I've been doing what I can to keep my FPS high since the start of this. I've turned off temperature the whole time.  I capped my dwarves at 100 and my children at 15.  right now, I have 105 dwarves, the most I ever had was 108.  I've not broken into any cavern layers yet, although I have reached the magma sea since practically the beginning of my fort.  To do this, on my embark I dug down to the magma sea, then made a note of the z levels that my caverns were on, so I wouldn't open them up until I was ready and use up any FPS, i then reloaded the map knowing what to do to avoid the caverns. I've been using multiple dump sites thinking it may increase FPS,  for instance my refuse and corpse stockpiles were getting huge after many gobbo sieges, so i made a dump beside my refuse pit and dumped alot of the gobbo bones and bodies there.  I also put some beds and coffins in one of my dumps because I accidentally made too many early on in my fort.
Also each time I did any exploratory mining for stones and ores, I walled off the entrances after I finished so my dwarves wouldnt needlessly pathfind that z-level.
So after all this effort I've put into trying to keep my FPS at a nice playable level.  I'm quite angry my FPS drops from 30 to 10FPS when it seems the only thing different it a ridiculous amount of newly claimed clothes scattered across my battlefield.
I really think this could be changed easily, for example one way is just allowing claimed items to be dumped instead of laying there unused.
Second, maybe make a incinerator type job available, there a player could incinerate items they didn't want taking up space anymore.  The job could require a constant supply of charcoal, coke, or magma as fuel to get the job done.

I hate when I see this issue on the bug report it is listed as minor.  I understand it takes a few years before the dwarves clothes start to wear out and they claim new ones. But boy, once they do start to claim clothes a lot of problems begin to occur. Claimed clothes never being able to be dumped or stockpiled, clothing shops becoming cluttered, significant FPS drops, etc.

Gurkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Claimed clothes are killing me
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:07:31 pm »

I don't know how averse you are to cheats, but if you use the confiscate cheat part of DFhack, you can claim all those clothes and do as you please with them.
It's included with the lazy newb pack if you wanna check it out:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:14:16 am »

I don't know how averse you are to cheats, but if you use the confiscate cheat part of DFhack, you can claim all those clothes and do as you please with them.
It's included with the lazy newb pack if you wanna check it out:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
Yes, this tool is named DFAUTODUMP and maybe the use of option "-d" (for "destroy") could be useful for you.

A second way could be the use of the Dwarven Atom Smasher

I neither used this method nor the other, so I only can tell that these might be possible solutions.

FPS-accelerating greetings

xelo
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:57:27 am »

I ended up completely giving up on dealing with this situation long ago and deleted all clothing from non dwarf civs, and deleting all clothing except for robes and dresses from dwarf civs in the raws.

The only way they will be able to claim anything outside your fort is if a dwarf caravan gets wiped out, and then it'd just be another dress or robe.

In particular, you're looking for entity_default, just go in there and remove all the useless stuff. It should buy you a few more years, fps wise.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:00:31 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »

Cool thanks, what should I do, just delete the entry entirely?  never edited the raw before.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »

Go into the entity file (raw/objects/entity_default.txt) and look for things similar to [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_WHATEVER] (or [GLOVES:xxx] [HELM:xxx] you get the idea) These are the items allowed to be used by an entity. By deleting these from all sieging entities, such as goblins, you can reduce the amount of stuff that gets left behind. Mind you that this won't take effect until the next world you gen though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:16 pm »

So Update,
I used cleanowned x so the dwarves would get rid of their worn out clothing and dump it.  Then after the dumps started filling up a bit, I erased the dump, then I reselceted the items for dumping, and unselected my stones.  Then I used autodump detstroy to completely erase the worn out clothing from the memory.
My dwarves still havent finished dumping their clothes though but my FPS has risen from 10-11 to 17 FPS.
I hope to get back up to the 30 FPS mark, but i'm skeptical.  It seems that whenever you take a big FPS drop, that you lose a percentage of FPS forever whenever you try to regain it.

I don't consider what I'm doing cheating even though it isn't possible in the dwarf fortress interface for the fact that I'm only doing these things to gain FPS back, not to be able to defeat enemies easier or make all my dwarves legendary.  That I would consider cheating.  I'm completely destroying the worn out clothing because it is useless.  I can't do anything with it, so I just don't want it taking up space in memory for my fort.  I wouldn't destroy other items like my excess of beds or coffins though, cause that was my fault I created myself.  I can't control the clothes scatteered everywhere my dwarves were claiming.

btw, i thought my dwarves had only claimed about 500 items.  it turned out to be around 2000 items of clothing.  stupid dwarves. 

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:12:29 am »

We should submit a bug report indicating the last line in dwarf descriptions is inaccurate, and should actually read: "A short sturdy creature fond of drink, industry, and prone to compulsive hording."

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:07:15 am »

We should submit a bug report indicating the last line in dwarf descriptions is inaccurate, and should actually read: "A short sturdy creature fond of drink, industry, and prone to compulsive hording."
yeah they could make a psychologist dwarf who improves his skills by helping the other dwarves to stop their hoarding.  he could also help them with their depression if they get too unhappy and moody. haha

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:26 am »

Don't they only claim cothing if they have nothing to wear in that slot?

If so, workaround could be to simply assign them uniform with clothing. They will get dressed (yay for gloves and shoes when dealing with forgotten beast stuff) and stop claiming clothing.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:02 am »

I think dorfs might need a job where they unclaim old and cheap clothes, so they only have a maximum number of sets of clothing.

Anyway I think loads of cabinets and containers might help, they might tuck away the clothes if they have somewhere to put them.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:09 am »

tbh: I tend to use df liquids to plop a 1/7 magma down on tiles with clothing/useless clutter and just incinerate it all. If its magma resistant, and tbh, theirs few of that, then its usualy worth reclaiming :)
This also sets the local grass on fire but i consider my outdoors looking like mordor somewhat poetic.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:18:08 pm »

Best. Spambot. Ever.

I could say that we are well on our way to making this. But yeah, its pretty awesome.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:27 pm »

yeah they could make a psychologist dwarf who improves his skills by helping the other dwarves to stop their hoarding.  he could also help them with their depression if they get too unhappy and moody. haha

"Just let it go. It's only a sock. It's been with you for 200 ticks, seen you through thick and thin, but it's had its time. You need to move on. There will be other socks."