Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What armor items should I make (and how do I stack armor)  (Read 699 times)

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What armor items should I make (and how do I stack armor)
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »

So I've been working on getting my military up and going and I'm having some questions on the best way to equip my military. 

I see that there are helmets, chest pieces, pants, shoes, and gloves.  However sometimes I see there are different pieces that cover the same parts.  (for example, high boots, low boots and shoes).  What's the difference?  do they cover different amounts of body?  do they weigh less?  etc? 

What should I focus on for equipping my army?  Also I guess when I choose to make a glove, it only makes one, and not two?  same with footwear? 

In addition, I heard you can stack armor types?  such that you have a clothes wearing dwarf, with leather armor over the clothes, with metal armor over the leather?  is this true?  how do I accomplish this?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: What armor items should I make (and how do I stack armor)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »

So I've been working on getting my military up and going and I'm having some questions on the best way to equip my military. 
I see that there are helmets, chest pieces, pants, shoes, and gloves.  However sometimes I see there are different pieces that cover the same parts.  (for example, high boots, low boots and shoes).  What's the difference?  do they cover different amounts of body?  do they weigh less?  etc? 

Short answer: it's on the Wiki.

What should I focus on for equipping my army?  Also I guess when I choose to make a glove, it only makes one, and not two?  same with footwear? 

Making a glove job makes two gloves; a single "make boot" job makes two boots.  The job queue at a workshop is ten items deep, which is coincidentally exactly what you need to queue up all of the metal body armor for a dorf:

• Breastplate
  • Mail Shirt
  • Helm
  • Cap
  • Gauntlet
  • High Boot
  • Greaves
  • Second Mail Shirt
  • Second Cap
  • Third Mail Shirt

...put all ten jobs on repeat and you'll produce a full set of armor each cycle.  Then go to your Leatherworks and queue up:

• Leather mitten
  • Leather trousers
  • Leather hood
  • Leather Cloak
  • Second Hood
  • Second Cloak
  • Third Cloak
  • Fourth Cloak
  • Fifth Cloak
  • Sixth Cloak

...which is also, coincidentally, ten jobs.

You will also want socks for their feet; this is left as an exercise to the clever overseer.

In addition, I heard you can stack armor types?  such that you have a clothes wearing dwarf, with leather armor over the clothes, with metal armor over the leather?  is this true?  how do I accomplish this?

Sort of.  At the bottom of the Armor article, the optimal layering is listed.  Note that Leather Armor (the specific torso protector made of leather, not the generic term for all armor pieces made of leather) can not be worn with mail shirts and breastplates; layering mail shirts and cloaks does wonders for making your dorfs immune to attacks, esp. with high Armor User skill.

You use the Military Interface to define uniforms and assign items to the uniform.  An optimal uniform will consist of 23 items -- the 20 listed above, plus socks, a weapon, and a shield.  You may additionally constrain the materials (only silk socks, only metal greaves). 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.