Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cancels Sleep: Could not find path?  (Read 885 times)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
Cancels Sleep: Could not find path?
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:19:07 am »

I've got an odd situation in my fortress.  I've got a dwarves periodically spamming the above error message, and I don't know why.  I have the following four sleeping spaces with nothing blocking them that I can tell.

1)  A community dorm / hospital.
2)  A barracks (that has also been turned into a dorm via another bed in a failed attempt to cure the issue.)
3)  A posh set of six jail beds through a door in the dining hall.
4)  Two sets of unclaimed noble's bedrooms.

The dwarves involved are not limited to a burrow by alert or other means.  There are no locked doors between them and any of the beds.  There is a dwarven bathtub in front of the hospital dorm, but it's empty, and other dwarves wander in and out of each of these rooms constantly. 

Some of the dwarves are in the military, some aren't; the military ones do this both on and off duty.

Eventually, they stop spamming the message after several seconds and find something else to do (or eventually actually go to bed somewhere).  Any insight in how to stop the problem and make dwarves go to bed cleanly?  It's kind of irritating getting literally hundreds of messages about this.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Sleep: Could not find path?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:46 am »

Enable hunting labor, then make your dining room really nice to balance out the outdoor sleeping.

Alternately, assign the bed to the dorf, or make sure you actually do have a path. I've had the occasional missing stair and whatnot screw with pathing.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:09 am »

They have an abundance of path.  All my (non Trade Depot) hallways are up/down stairs and 2-3 tiles wide.  I don't bother with walls around non-moodable workspaces & storage either.  Makes it a little hard to follow a dwarf as it runs in the straightest line through a 3D stair space, but eh....

At any rate, I can watch all of these dwarves go to bed somewhere eventually.  It's just that they get stuck in one spot spamming the message, find something else to do, and then head for a bed from that point.  The most irritating dwarves are ones in the dining hall that refuse to use the free beds in the room next door.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:47:05 am »

You might have TOO MANY pathing options.

They have an abundance of path.  All my (non Trade Depot) hallways are up/down stairs and 2-3 tiles wide.  I don't bother with walls around non-moodable workspaces & storage either.

Ow!... my pathfinding algorithm... I think you BROKE it!
Never pet a burning dog.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »

Designate high traffic routes towards the beds, following the best path you'd like?

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:21 am »

You might have TOO MANY pathing options.
[...]
Ow!... my pathfinding algorithm... I think you BROKE it!

I experimented with it when I was running low FPS, and it seemed to improve things.  My pure guess is that the pathfinding algorithm starts with a straight line between two points and then tries to work around obstacles.

Anyway, I still have no idea what was causing the problem, but opening up a suite of personal bedrooms seems to have made it all go away for now.

EDIT:  It could also have to do with the fact that it's reclaim fortress that *still* hadn't completed hauling all the garbage in from outside after 3 years.  There might be some kind of time-out on pathfinding based on task priority, but that still wouldn't explain why it couldn't handle people standing around literally 10 spaces from a free bed with no obstacles other than an unlocked door and no path restriction zones.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:27:28 am by Valdrax »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:59:10 am »

...reclaim fortress ...

Are they beds from the original fort? If so, they are probably forbidden.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:08 pm »

No, the first thing I do is reclaim everything underground.  Also, per the first post, all of the rooms were in use by other dwarves (and eventually by the ones spamming error messages).  [EDIT:  I realize upon reread that I didn't actually say that the beds were being used in all of the rooms.]

And before you ask, yes there were plenty of free beds.