Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serial Killing Dwarves?  (Read 1278 times)

Blargg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Serial Killing Dwarves?
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:09:20 pm »

Alright, so I've gotten bored with a fortress and decided it would be fit to drown them in their own stupidity (hooray for locked doors). It was going fine, perfect timing for a titan to show up and give my dwarves something to chew on while they wait for the watery tomb to fill.

Anyway, it was somewhat boring just sitting there. Waiting. So I enlisted a few chumps and had them move to a quickly filling room to get a few spouses and children angry. No dice.

After leaving for about 20 minutes I come back just in time to see "Urist McWhyWasn'tIBornADolphin has been struck down". So great, people are going berserk, good entertainment right there. And after checking the logs to see who it may be, and seeing how spiral-y things were going I noticed that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This whole combat log, every bit of it caused by:

Yes, he is ecstatic at the time of these murders, I'm not quite sure if this is part of an insanity, or if this guy just shrugged and said "sure, why not."

In addition, this guy, an average marksdwarf in leather armor decided to go terminator on this Armok-forsaken hellhole:

He took two pages of punishment from a danger-room trained legendary axe-dwarf with a candy axe and militia captain with a steel hammer, I have no doubt it might have gone longer and with more injured parties if he hadn't invested so much in that arm of his.

Kubuk Obokarist was some kind of serial-killing, torturous, annihilation machine of destruction, and it was beautiful.

Suprised me quite a bit and confused the hell out of me all at once, if anyone has any possible explanations, have at it. Other than that, enjoy!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killing Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »

What's needing explanation? When dwarves get mad, they get mad. How much of your tantrum spiral was caused by him?

During a tantrum spiral, I had a... grower, I believe. One of the few to survive to the end. He lost his leg during the primary chaos. So another of the four left, a doctor, fixed him up and gave him a crutch. He slept. Later, when the doctor went to sleep, he got up, beat a few animals, and then strangled the doctor while she was asleep. Some dwarves just don't handle loss very well.

Only adept, though; that's pretty impressive. I don't thing any of my adept marksdwarves have even gotten that man kills of enemies. That guy must have been pretty cool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »

Was he actually berzerk?  Sometimes a dwarf will kill another when upset, not berzerk, and this triggers a loyalty cascade where nearby military will cut him down.  That "doesn't handle stress very well" is a good indicator too.

Berzerk - No longer part of your civ, safe to kill.
Loyalty Cascade - Still your civ, and vengeance must be taken for in-civ murder.

Blargg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »

Was he actually berzerk?  Sometimes a dwarf will kill another when upset, not berzerk, and this triggers a loyalty cascade where nearby military will cut him down.  That "doesn't handle stress very well" is a good indicator too.

Berzerk - No longer part of your civ, safe to kill.
Loyalty Cascade - Still your civ, and vengeance must be taken for in-civ murder.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, I caught on at about the third death and checked dwarf therapist to see how fast shit was gonna hit the fan, and the guy bashing everyone's limbs to dust was ecstatic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

Hit "a" to see recent messages.

Actually nevermind - unless you changed it, it pauses on newly berzerk.

Blargg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »

Haven't messed with anything besides giant badgers so far, this nut was murdering his friends infants and he was loving it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »

Check your Justice screen.  He might be dealing out beatings to punish other dwarves for things they did while tantruming.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »

And so on, forever. I lost one of my first good forts that way :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

View the dwarf's Thoughts and Preferences - if it claims that they are a "former member" and "enemy" of a particular group, then you've got a loyalty cascade. If most of your dwarves have this, then your fortress is doomed unless you take drastic measures (namely, arranging all of the "renegade" dwarves to be killed without exposing any of them to your loyal population - if your entire population is renegade, then you will have to kill every last one of them and hope you get enough migrants to replace them).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »

Loyalty Cascade?  Is this a feature or a bug?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »

But, how do loyalty cascades actually start?
Usually when a tantruming dwarf kills another, they just become a criminal- They don't leave the civ. ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:00 am »

Loyalty Cascade?  Is this a feature or a bug?
Yes.

Its a feature, because if one dwarf murders another he becomes an enemy of your civ and a target for justice/retribution.  On the other hand, if he isn't insane or berzerk he is still considered part of your civ and killing him makes whoever took him down a murderer, and thus an enemy of your civ -- cue Loyalty Cascade were loyal members kill renegades, and thus become renegades.  Its this second part that isn't quite a feature. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:54:50 am »

But, how do loyalty cascades actually start?
Usually when a tantruming dwarf kills another, they just become a criminal- They don't leave the civ. ???
Loyalty cascades begin when a non-tantruming dwarf deliberately kills another civilization member.  Typically, this occurs of you command your military to kill traders from your civilization.  Tantrum spirals don't cause loyalty cascades.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:32 am »

Ahhhh, now I get it! Thanks!
I haven't done that since I first started playing, before I worked out how to use workshops, so that's never happened to me. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.