Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Variables for creature variations  (Read 1229 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Variables for creature variations
« on: August 27, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »

It would be nice if we had the option of using arguments in the creature variations like those that can be used in the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Variables for creature variations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:59 am »

I don't understand.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:56:49 am »

In the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN you can set it up like

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you can reference it like

Effectively turning several lines into one line. If we could do this with creature variations then you could turn all the biome calls or anything else into just one line.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:25:38 am »

So you would like global templates that can be set up in a single area of the Raws and then referenced across multiple areas? While I think this is a good suggestion there are some associated problems with it becoming harder to mod as you have to refer back and forth from each area to see what is being assigned under each template, furthermore you could expand on this by being able to overwrite specific parts of a template to make slightly unique creatures(preventing you from having to make a whole new template or filling out the whole creature by hand). Nevertheless if we can solve those problems this would be a good suggestion.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:21:58 am »

Well it already is in play for one part of the raws, I would just like to see it extended to other features.

And the APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION tags that are already in the game allow you to remove, add, and overwrite specific parts from the creature raws.

I would just like these two features, that are already in the game, to be combined together.

It would allow creatures to look like

Which is much easier to read in my opinion.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

Personally, I feel that the implementation of variables in the body detail plans isn't a proper template to reuse (for instance, the is a hard limit of I think five variables to use in any given body plan). I like the basic idea, but I feel the game would be better served if variables could be properly implemented along with other scripting potential (which I realize would be farther away than your suggestion would be) so that, apart from your examples, we could have, say, easier random bodies or ethics (along with some ability to define a "scope" of some sort, I guess - does each creature of that type use a random body, each entity has a single random one, or each game?).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:14:56 pm »

I agree that it would be better if we had a more filled out use of variables, but I would think that would be much harder to implement then taking what is already available for the body details. In the end I would love to see full variable control, but until then it would be nice to at least have a couple more variable options.