Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Miasma Problems  (Read 3642 times)

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground Miasma Problems
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:25 am »

Dearest fellow dwarves,

I seem to be having a problem in my fortress where miasma and other rotten smelling things are backing up into my fort. I designed an undground trash heap to keep my dwarves safe while they are throwing away their shit. I have having a wall taken out to outside and digging out a square of the roof with a wall grate, but nonesuch luck. I dont want a hatch mechanism because i want to use the bones for crafting. Anyone have any ideas?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Miasma Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:38:52 am »

NEVER make an underground refuse pile! The Miasma WILL still come forth. Place ALL the stuff that can make the purple cloud in outdoor refuse piles ONLY.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:08:05 am »

NEVER make an underground refuse pile! The Miasma WILL still come forth. Place ALL the stuff that can make the purple cloud in outdoor refuse piles ONLY.

Or in magma.

But to the OP: Anything that can rot will create miasma underground due to the lack of wind.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

A regular hatch (or door) will work fine. The crafter can get in/out and the hatch will close behind them, containing the miasma. There's no need for any mechanisms.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:21:42 am »

Unless something has changed recently, miasma only spreads orthogonally.  Dwarves travel diagonally just fine.  So you can create a refuse stockpile like this:
Code: [Select]
# X
 # X
X # X
 X #
  X X
where the X's are dug-out squares designed as refuse stockpiles (and set to restricted movement), the #'s are dug-out squares not designed as stockpiles, and blank spaces are walls.  Of course, in practice you almost certainly want to make your refuse pile bigger; a rather large one might look something like this:
######################### X
 # # # # # # # # # # # # # X
X # X X # X X # X X # X X # X
       X #   X #   X #   X #   X # 
        X X   X X   X X   X X   X X
The checkerboard design ensures that your dwarves will never encounter any miasma at all, since it can't spread beyond the square containing the rotting item, and since those squares are restricted so your dwarves won't path through them.

Admittedly, setting up such a stockpile takes a bit of work, but if you don't feel like doing it by hand, you could probably automate it with macros.  And once you've set it up, it takes zero maintenance; just make sure the pile is big enough and that you have enough refuse haulers available.  Some tips: Instead of designating each of the X squares individually as a refuse pile, designate the whole area as one and then undesignate the corridors.  Also, don't forget to set your refuse pile to only accept rotting refuse; you'll want a separate stockpile for bones and such.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:23:52 am »

I just use a hatch cover+pressure plate underground heap right in the center of my fort. It requires a tad of digging, and 1 stone and then 1 stone/metal/wood.

Pretty easy to make.

EDIT: About that orthogonal thing - that is an option, but if you actually go frame-by-frame you'll see that dwarves actually stand on the square to dump an item in a stockpile, so they'll still walk into the miasma to drop an item. I tried that. It does keep the miasma contained, but dumping dwarves will still get disgusted by miasma to dump the item.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:27:28 am by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:34:52 am »

Unless something has changed recently, miasma only spreads orthogonally.  Dwarves travel diagonally just fine.  So you can create a refuse stockpile like this...
Overcomplication. I just dig large area with diagonal entry.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:56 am »

Or just put a single diagonal off square somewhere, declare it a garbage dump (I menu) and mark all the rotting stuff to be dumped.  Come back and reclaim the bones from the pile periodically.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:57:02 am »

I build my refuse piles in a series above ground spires with open grated tops and vents, no problems there.
Plus in the event of an attack I can actually quickly organize the spires into defensive structures for marksdwarves.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:44:42 am »

Uncomplicated? Undwarven I say.

I dig out a stockpile, and channel down several holes, adding grates over the holes. Now it can vent miasma, and no invaders will fall in. If they do, well, I'll magma wash the chamber. (Magma safe grates are advised.)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »

I usually have an incineration chamber for my refuse. I build two of them, so one can "dry" and the other can be stuffed full of kitten nervous tissue.

Once one is dry of 1/7 magma, I flood the other. Repeat.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »

An extremely simple solution is to make sure that there are only diagonal paths to your refuse, like so.

O - wall
. - floor

Normal Refuse Stockpile
to fortress proper
  ^    ^
OO.OOOO.OO
O........O
O........O
O........O
O........O
O........O
OOOOOOOOOO

Alternate Design
 .O.  .O.
OO.OOOO.OO
O........O
O........O
O........O
O........O
O........O
OOOOOOOOOO

Miasma doesn't travel diagonally. The only dwarves that will be bothered by miasma will be the ones entering the chamber. As a bonus, drain magma into the stockpile to remove all of that damn nervous tissue and hooves.