Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Problem  (Read 651 times)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Problem
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:55 pm »

So I've found the magma sea (yay) and dug out rooms above a part of it for magma smelters and forges. Unfortunately I rather foolishly forgot to channel out some of the tiles so that I had access from the rooms I just dug to the wonderful magma. Short of a controlled cave-in which will likely kill the genius who takes up the endeavor, is there any other way to breach through and get access to the magma?
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »

What's stopping you from channeling the tiles right now?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:55:06 pm »

You can still channel through natural walls without natural floors beneath them, if that is the problem.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:02:19 pm »

All that's left is the natural floor. I didn't think to designate the channels in the walls while they were still up.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:03:38 pm »

you can also designate channels on exposed floors. You can designate channels on any non-contructed surface.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

When I try to designate the channels they don't show up and the miners don't respond. I'm not sure what's with that if it should work though.

Edit: Is it maybe not working because there's not a solid block underneath the floor? That could be the problem now that I think about it.

Second edit: Nevermind, they finally dug the channels now, had to restart DF for it to accept the command.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:19:07 pm by Teronsuke »
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:33 pm »

Pictures would probably make it easier for us to understand the situation.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

Actually, it's PROBABLY because there's stone on top of where you want a designation.
And Dwarves actually have a slight delay to doing things, especially in larger forts.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:00 pm »

Actually, it's PROBABLY because there's stone on top of where you want a designation.
Do note that the items on top of designations will hide the designation, but it'll still be carried out. Your miners might have been busy doing something else, like being On Break.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

Do note that the items on top of designations will hide the designation, but it'll still be carried out. Your miners might have been busy doing something else, like being On Break.

Yeah, I noticed the hidden designations earlier on, but that wasn't the issue, the game bugged out and wouldn't let me designate channels at all until I restarted for some reason. Was pretty odd.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:50 pm »

I had some issues like that as well yesterday, eventually figured out that it was because caps lock was on.  Also if you're using mouse designations in fullscreen mode you may want to minimize and maximize if it's not recognizing designations made with the mouse.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.