Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a safe well into the caverns  (Read 1039 times)

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a safe well into the caverns
« on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:57 am »

I had a well reaching into the water in caverns. It was walled off and water was coming in through a fortification. Now a fb swam through in it and killed everything. So..

1. Grates and bars can be destroyed.
2. Fortifications can be swam through.
3. Anything between the water and the well will block the well.
4. Having no stairs doesn't help as the fbs can fly.

How to make a well reaching into the cavern waters safe?

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a safe well into the caverns
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 12:20:42 pm »

What I do is pump cavern water into a holding tank and let my well go into there

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:22:34 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to flood your fortifications after you build it.  Most forgotten beasts (that I've seen) don't swim very well.  Try making the fortification underwater.
Playing since 2007

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »

I recommend using drawbridges as a floodgate to a cistern... so

1. dig out a cistern below your well. (keep in mind that wells take longer to drink/wash/fill form the deeper the water is from under the well... so a 40-z level well might take a bit of time. without a pump stack you couldn't move your cistern, so plan for that later.)

2. once your cistern is dug out, dig a 1x1 tunnel to a tile adjacent to the bottom of the pool of water in the cave.

3. build a 1x2 drawbridge in the corridor, link it up to a lever in your meeting hall.

4. once linked, lower the drawbridge, tell your miner to mine out the wet tile between the water and your tunnel.

5. let water flow in. once you have enough in your cistern, close the drawbridge. keep an eye for any creatures coming in so be ready to pull the lever at any time.

6. let your wounded drink.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:31:38 pm »

Aha. Underwater bridges!

Back to work.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:35:42 pm »

Train a military and kill the FB.

Personally I always treat caverns and any areas with access to the caverns as "unsafe" and therefore outside my main defenses. So FB's must get through my military, drawbridges, etc. to get to the civilians.

In other words, put your cavern well in a courtyard or barracks, not in the hospital. (You can fill your hospital well by bucket brigade from the main well if you like)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:39:23 pm by Mushroo »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to flood your fortifications after you build it.  Most forgotten beasts (that I've seen) don't swim very well.  Try making the fortification underwater.
Creatures can swim through fortifications that are flooded with 7/7 water (or magma), so that won't work. Besides, the original post already pointed that out.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »

There are two solutions I can think of, both of which are based on the fact that FBs (and other things) can't deconstruct grates from below.

The first method is to use the fact that screw pumps can pump upwards through a floor grate.

~ -> water
% -> screw pump
# -> wall
... -> floor grate

#~~~%%...##
#######~~~
##########

The second method is to make the water go upwards through a floor grate by using gravity. Keep in mind water will rise to one level below its initial level. You can do this by digging a tunnel under the water then caving in the ceiling in the right place.

~ -> water
# -> wall
... -> floor grate

##   #
##   #~~~~~
##~ #~~~~~
##...#~#####
##~~~#####
##########
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »

(Didn't read the entire thread)

My best suggestion is to build a well, and place a hatch directly under it, assuming that you're building on the roof of the cavern and the bucket is dangling all the way down.  When a flying invader appears, you close the hatch via lever, blocking the well and blocking the path.  Building destroyers cannot reach upwards to destroy, they much be on the same level.

Ultimately though, having a private water source is always ideal.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 02:07:21 pm »

The second method is to make the water go upwards through a floor grate by using gravity. Keep in mind water will rise to one level below its initial level. You can do this by digging a tunnel under the water then caving in the ceiling in the right place.

~ -> water
# -> wall
... -> floor grate

##   #
##   #~~~~~
##~ #~~~~~
##...#~#####
##~~~#####
##########
I tired this one once.  What happened to me is the water filled past the grate just fine.  But it never refilled.  Once it hit 2/7 water the well became unusable.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:18:15 pm »

My solution is that never have anyone who you cant afford to lose. In other words: everybody is in military

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »

Forgotten Beasts cannot swim through fortifications, however they can be pushed through them by water pressure. Depressurize your water using a checkerboard dig/rewall pattern in front of the fortification and you should have no problems.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:45 pm »

Forgotten Beasts cannot swim through fortifications, however they can be pushed through them by water pressure. Depressurize your water using a checkerboard dig/rewall pattern in front of the fortification and you should have no problems.
Unless forgotten beasts swim differently from normal things, they don't need pressure. I tested the fortification thing in the arena, and creatures can swim through magma/water filled fortifications in situations where there is no flow at all.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:44 pm »

The consensus is that any fortification or wall grate that is submerged in 7/7 becomes worthless and can be freely moved through.  A fully submerged floor grate cannot be passed through.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »

Can the secretions of FB's in the water be brought up by bucket? That would get by any grates and be unsafe.